Cat-loving teen with cancer gets a "cat immersion" tent at hospital

11 Responses to “Cat-loving teen with cancer gets a "cat immersion" tent at hospital”

1. Justin Sabe says:

Back  when I was producing purrcast (the all cat purring podcast) we made a CD of it for a friend who was in the hospital and on pain medication that keept her pretty incoherent. It did a good job of keeping her calm and meditative instead of just strung out. I should find the files and send a copy out to Seattle Children’s Hospital and get the site back up to active status.

• Xeni Jardin says:

That’s spectacular.

• Shibi_SF says:

For our friend who suffered from Cystic Fibrosis, and was isolated in the hospital and unable to cuddle his cat, my sister and I went to Build-A-Bear and created a look-a-like kitty for him.  Justin Sabe’s purrcast CD would have been perrrrfect accompaniment!

2. I wish there were a new label for things like this.  Something like “NSFW” but that essentially meant “Not Safe If You Don’t Want to Cry in Public.”

It was very touching to say the least.

• Mr. Son says:

I used to see the phrase “kleenex warning” sometimes on fanfiction years ago when the story was very sappy and/or sad. That should totally make a comeback.

3. missamo80 says:

KIRO did a segment on this Tuesday afternoon, you can hear about it (and about the larger art program at the hospital) here: http://www.kiroradio.com/listen/9944860/.

4. Teller says:

Great, great idea and execution.

5. Halloween_Jack says:

If I had to be a cancer inpatient, I’d want my tent to have pictures taken by Curiosity. “Fuck you, cancer, I’m on Mars.”

6. destroy_all_humans says:

talk about using a weapon of mass destruction on cancer’s ass! Get better soon Maga.

7. tubacat says:

Now that’s a wonderful thing!

8. Forrest Hsu says:

Seattle’s pretty awesome. I am proud Seattlite.