15 Responses to “Down in Smoke: through comics, Susie Cagle chronicles the DEA raids on medical marijuana facilities in California”

1. DocPop says:

Awesome, I must have missed this when it went up a few days ago. Glad it didn’t slip through the cracks. One note though, I don’t think the quotation marks around “Comics Journalist” are necessary.

2. RKTR ♫soundcloud.com/rktr says:

Sigh, maybe one day Chicago will have these problems.  Oh wait, I’m pretty sure that won’t happen :(

3. David Downs says:

Hi, Thanks for the link. Harborside Health Center has not been raided. It has been threatened with asset forfeiture. best, dd

4. hymenopterid says:

It’s sad, but this is essentially where Obama lost my vote.  It’s not that I want a Republican in office, it’s that I have no use for a false liberal. He’s not part of the solution, therefore he’s become a part of the problem.

Furthermore, the intent of this attack on Ed Lee was meant to send a message to all who would work to end Marijuana prohibition through democratic means.  The reason they made an example of Lee was because the legalization of Marijuana constitutes a threat to the prison industrial complex.  By supporting these measures Obama has indicated that he wants more Americans to live inside prisons.  He wants to give cops more reasons to seize property without a trial.  People need to understand that this isn’t just about Marijuana, it’s about exerting control over the populace.  I hope non-users can recognize this.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Voting for the greater evil because you feel betrayed won’t decriminalize marijuana, but it might get you a much longer sentence with fewer rights in a much nastier prison run by a private corporation owned by the cronies of the person for whom you voted.

• Kimmo says:

Yeah, it’s a shitty choice, but it seems plain that someone who’s at least capable of making the right noises is infinitely preferable to outright malevolence…

• BillStewart2012 says:

I’m a third-party voter, and California’s solidly Democrat, so I didn’t have to vote for Obama as a way to vote against the Republicans (unlike 1984, when I lived in New Jersey and had to vote for Walter Mondale to try to stop Reagan/Bush, which was such a smashing success…)

So Obama didn’t lose my vote when he chickened out on his promises to fix the unConstitutional UnAmerican atrocity of Gitmo, but he certainly lost my support.  I was disappointed by his about-face on his promises about medical marijuana, especially because he’s used it himself, but I can’t say I was surprised.  And I wasn’t expecting a Keynesian to be able to fix Bush’s economic damage (and I wasn’t expecting Obama to be either as good or as lucky as Bill Clinton), but the Republicans have abandoned all pretense of fiscal responsibility years ago so it’s not like that was a downside.

5. Thank-you Susie… #Brilliant as usual…

6. ocker3 says:

I’ve started reading David Nutt’s excellent book “Drugs without the Hot Air” (formerly a member of the UK’s Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs) and the disconnect between public policy and public health problems is huge and problematic.

• Kimmo says:

I refer you to the government/corporate-revolving-door-fuelled disconnect between incontrovertible evidence and policy.

Also see the talkback radio/ignorant old fart demographic-fuelled disconnect between incontrovertible evidence and policy.