Wi-Fi controlled power outlet makes home automation easy

6 Responses to “Wi-Fi controlled power outlet makes home automation easy”

1. LikesTurtles says:

Get the price down to $5 and free it from the Apple walled garden and they’ll really be on to something. It amazes me how little home automation has progressed since X10 in the 70s. The only advances seem to be with expensive highly proprietary systems so nothing has ever caught on. Heck, if they could make a wall outlet version, I’d pay $10 an outlet.

• D says:

Would this ‘recipe’ tunnel under said fruit wall?

• Restless says:

Doing wall plates like this with powerline networking to keep them connected seems like it’d be a no-brainer product.  Cross that with those power outlets that have the non-vampiric tap USB sockets, make each power outlet addressable individually and maybe even put in some way to read the power draw like a Kill-A-Watt and you’d have a killer (albeit likely expensive) product on your hands.

2. Spleenal says:

No one could be more surprised at this than the outlet it’s self. Look at that outlet’s face it’s all like OMG!

3. Rich Keller says:

Tell Wemo that he could be just like something out of a Ray Bradbury story and I’m sure he’d cheer right up.

4. bibulb says:

I’ve begun dropping money on these, and while I haven’t been getting terribly imaginative with my setup (“turn on this light when there’s motion at the front door” is about as wacky as I’ve got so far, and that’s in the manual) I will say that I like it a lot. It still needs a little smoothing – frex, if you’re out of the home network, it doesn’t see every device on the network – but it’s pretty good, and does exactly what I got it for.

I’ve been trying to hack on the motion sensor (ending in an 1/8″ stereo plug) to try using other sensors, but my skills are not so impressive so I haven’t had any results as yet.