Custom made 3D printed Portal gun from model ripped straight from the game

19 Responses to “Custom made 3D printed Portal gun from model ripped straight from the game”

1. Rick Vath says:

TAKE MY MONEY TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT!!!!

2. sosumi says:

Best. Thing. Ever.

3. gramturismo says:

I’ve been wondering for awhile “Couldn’t people just extract assets from popular games and print their own props/action figures?”  I guess I have my answer now.

• peterblue11 says:

yup was wondering same thing. this also made me think people will now pretty much be able to print off their own action figures / collectables. so i spose sales of those might decline soon. of course hardcore collectors will continue but average joe might rather reprap one out quickly.

4. traalfaz says:

Well, come on, post the STLs to Thingiverse.  We’re waiting.

5. peterblue11 says:

so straight from the game , yea? how r those inter-dimensional holes workin for ya then?

6. mccrum says:

Cave Johnson here.  You are hereby immediately ordered to return Aperture property back to our offices.

I promise your complete safety and that you will not be hurt.
    Much.

7. sockdoll says:

I wanted the gun to be as accurate as possible, so I used 3D printed parts that were ripped directly from the game files!

Brilliant! We’re definitely living in the future.

8. I already have the ‘gun’ of my dreams.

9. planettom says:

I looked through the links a bit, but couldn’t determine — what kind of 3D printer were these parts made on?

10. robuluz says:

Sweet.

11. KapCarl says:

This is really impressive. You should get together with Chris Myles who has a great video tutorial for 3d printed Personality Spheres from Portal 2.  http://blog.objet.com/2011/06/06/objet-3d-printer-used-to-recreate-portal-2-personality-spheres/

12. NikFromNYC says:

As Rome burns, men be boys.

13. While the game’s gun was actually scanned from a real portal gun.

14. This is cool but I dont think this is fully extracted model from the game…..viewing the 3d prints from shapeways

15. where do you find the model in the game files? I’ve looked but I can’t find it

EDIT- I found it, but it looks like it’s a .si0 file, and I have no idea how to open it, can anyone help me?