Laser-cut, laser-etched flat-pack metal model kits

11 Responses to “Laser-cut, laser-etched flat-pack metal model kits”

1. but the entire catalog can be had at http://www.innovatoys.com/metal-works or so says the website you directed me to.

2. Preston Sturges says:

most kids would rather just have the laser.

3. kstop says:

There’s a company called Aerobase at http://www.aerobase.jp/ (which I think is just one ex-Tamiya employee) that makes similar metal models, but photo-etched and with more of a modeler’s sensibility to them. Their Bendix Gee-Bee pylon model is my favourite.

I found the kits at the store in the Japan Pavilion in EPCOT, and treat myself to one every time I’m dragged to Disneyworld, but you can get them online.

4. Roy Trumbull says:

I have a very nice wooden cable car purchased in Tamal, CA.. Tamal is the post office right outside of San Quentin prison. It spares the families who have kin inside the state hotel from having the prison’s name on their letters. Across the road is a gift shop of items made by prisoners and many of them are of very high quality.

5. My hands are bleeding with tiny little cuts just looking at that thing!

6. mjfgates says:

About a decade and a half ago, somebody used to make photoetch doll houses, in 1/144 scale.Basically the same idea as these, only larger and simpler.

7. eldrick says:

Meanwhile, back here in reality, SF cablecars do not have 16 wheels sticking out past the sides.

8. Jim Turley says:

It’s a cable car, not a trolley car.  In San Francisco, at least, there’s a difference.

9. mrgreenfur says:

I got the Big Ben one as a present and it’s basically garbage. The metal is pointy and hurts your fingers as you try to make all the tiny folds it needs. The connections are so small that you need to be a watchmaker to put them together. I fumbled with it for 30 minutes and then after getting a million tiny cuts, threw the whole thing away in frustration. DO NOT BUY.