WARNING: STREET ART TOURS ARE ILLEGAL!

My neighbourhood in East London has a lot of very nice street art, and a fair number of hipster entrepreneurs who lead tourist parties on "Street Art Tours." Artist Dr D combined the Olympic police-state with the Street Art Tour phenomenon to make this great prank notice, which I snapped on the way to our weekly Sunday brunch.

The Daily Duff: *STREET ART TOURS- ILLEGAL!*

27 Responses to “WARNING: STREET ART TOURS ARE ILLEGAL!”

1. It had me going until I read the fine print.  It’s funny how little faith I have in English law.

2. jonw says:

not  joking here: I’m pretty sure that poster — and perhaps even this boingboing post — are illegal.

• SoItBegins says:

And why?

• mccrum says:

No questions!  Illegal!  Photography of something in a street!  Or Something Treacherous!

• Gekko_Gecko says:

The creator of the funny notice committed theft/burglary. They infringed on the copyright of the metro insignia ( bottom of the sign ), which these days means they stole it.

• mccrum says:

And this makes this post illegal how…

I’m also not sure about the UK, do they have Fair Use for parody over there?

• Warren_Terra says:

In addition to the questions about infringement of copyright and misuse of official police symbols (impersonating a police officer?), there’s the question of breaking into what’s apparently advertising space presumably sold to defray the cost of maintenance, and displacing the ad that should be there.

To be clear: the sign is witty, it makes a good point, and I’m all for it. But it is worth pointing out that it’s not risk-free. You’ll note the artist didn’t apparently leave any contact information or claim credit, which is probably wise.

• Eric Hunt says:

See: Billboard Liberation Front; street art in most major cities from the last few decades

• Warren_Terra says:

I do see a little difference between repurposing some wealthy company’s billboard space they’ve rented out to sell hamburgers and affecting the ability of a public service utility that operates litter bins to cover its costs.

• Osloianer says:

In some countries it’s illegal to create fake police-related stuff if it’s too realistic (or at all), and I’m not sure exactly where the line is drawn. I mean, this one is funny and pretty obvious, but the more sublime the humor the easier it is for the general public to “not get it”. What if the sign said “street photography is illegal” and they removed the small print? I think it would be a funny comment on policing in a paranoid society, but many would not get it.

3. nixiebunny says:

My wife just asked me if Cory is a media mogul.

I explained that he’s a terrorist.

4. darkjayson says:

How scary is it that it took me a while to see that it was fake as it is something that i would expect from the met now adays :(

5. bumblebeeeeeee says:

“because you just can’t be trusted”

6. retepslluerb says:

I’m quite impressed that Cory didn’t fell for it, though.

7. oasisob1 says:

This thread is too serious. The terrorists have won.

8. Hipsters? In East London? I shan’t believe it

9. perch says:

I fell for this; I can completely believe that this would actually be illegal in the UK.

10. bo1n6bo1n6 says:

Because you just can’t be trusted.