Scenes from a heart surgery

14 Responses to “Scenes from a heart surgery”

1. esquire says:

Nice story – she certainly seems upbeat about her situation.

I wonder who took the pictures and why the hospital allowed it.  Not to be cynical, but I would think that most hospitals would see this as a liability risk…

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Surgery pictures are not unusual. You can even watch whole surgeries on TV.

• falnfenix says:

i just had surgery a week and a half ago, and the surgeon took photos to show why he removed what he removed.  it’s not only normal, it’s almost expected.

2. Paul Renault says:

I had a customer, whose wife had a mechanical (ball-bearing-type, I guess) heart valve.  You could hear it click-click-click…  She didn’t hear it any more.

I suspect that she was worthless at playing poker.  Or any game where you might have to bluff.

3. CHoldredge says:

That’s very impressive. I had a very similar surgery for the same problem a couple of years ago, but I certainly didn’t manage to talk the doctors into sending me home with souviner photos!

I wish I’d had the writing talent and the openness to even consider a weblog like that one. It seems like the perfect way to handle “Don’t want people to see me scared. Don’t want people to see me squicked. But boy, lookit, everyone, how COOL this stuff all is!” The grace and skill she shows writing this, at a time when she’s still probably not allowed to walk all the way ’round the block, is just amazing.

4. 20ftJesus says:

What type of replacement valve did they use, porcine or homograph?

• dmatos says:

FTFA – she had her aortic root replaced with a dacron graft  (ie, the bottom section of her aorta, from the valve to the arch, was replaced with a synthetic aorta).  The bicuspid aortic valve contributed to an aortic aneurysm, but was in and of itself healthy.  The valve was not replaced.

5. CSBD says:

You don’t even need a heart any more.

With two of these (or more):

Its off label to install them in place of a heart, but you can have several installed to assist your heart.

If you heart stops beating… you wont notice… if you go to a new doctors office, they might freak out since you don’t have a pulse any more.

The hospital I work in routinely puts one in as a heart assist.  They would like to install them as heart replacements.  They are much easier on people than all of the anti rejection drugs.

6. mikemcl says:

Will there be another story later in the year where her friends and family are dancing on street corners to pay for the hospital bills?

7. I´m one of the lucky 1% as well… :) I wonder why her aortic valve wasn´t replaced as it was done at my operation. Although it´s quite a bloody treatment the recovery was just a charm. I didn´t expect to leave the hospital after less then a week, but I did. Just unbelievable.

8. Kent Haas says:

I had a Titanium mytrol valve installed in 2003..I was 46..my scar is hardly noticable but I think I really lucked out..I had the best surgeon in Scottsdale. This was covered 100% by the then generous medicaid program in Az then..pre teabaggers and Jan Brewer..I should send here a picture..my scar is really not an issue..it looks like that at first.

9. Wiki-Truths says:

Just ask your doc before the surgery – they all have iphones now. I have a pic of my gallbladder on a tray on the O.R. if you guys want to see.

10. Jack says:

WOW.  When it comes to stories about “What I Did on my ‘Summer’ Vacation” (sorry) – you win, hands down!  Congratulations on your successful procedure; I’ve followed your work on the MaddowBlog with pleasure, and I’m so glad to learn you’re doing well.

;-)