Beth Orton - "Magpie” (MP3)

14 Responses to “Beth Orton - "Magpie” (MP3)”

1. wysinwyg says:

Saw her at Field Day Festival years ago.  She looked tiny in the middle of this huge stage on the field of Giant Stadium — until she started playing, at which point she had even more presence than Spiritualized did with their seventeen-piece band.  The contrast between her joyful, bubbly personality and sad, reflective tunes was charming.  I’d never heard of her before but came away from it with a lot of respect for Ms. Orton even if her music is not something I’d usually put on for myself.

2. mobobo says:

mmm – first time I’ve listened, won’t be the last.

ta muchly

3. mesocosm says:

How funny – I just pulled her out for the first time in months last week and wondered what she’s been doing.

Thanks for sharing – this song is stupendous.

4. rafterman says:

Never heard of her.

5. Bender says:

Will be on Letterman tonight.

6. franko says:

she’s incredible. we saw her play in a pub/showroom off to the side of the main casino floor in one of the better casinos in reno back after her first album came out. she started her show by introducing herself and saying, in a long, drawn out, sort of half-unbelieving voice, “….i’m playing in reeeenooo….. in a casiiiiinooooo…..”

at that point, my partner looked at me and said, “she’s going to fire whoever booked this, and she’s never gonna play here ever again.” — sure enough, she’s never been back. her show was awesome, though. : )

7. My first exposure was during the credits of Stir of Echoes in 1999 – It’s Not the Spotlight.  Very good stuff!

8. Sign Ahead says:

Thanks Amy!

After listening to this song, I picked up Central Reservation (one of Beth Orton’s older albums) to tide me over until October. It’s a lot of (slightly melancholy) fun.

9. Never get sick of listening to beautiful Beth x thanx

10. Very beautiful! I have never heard of her until Letterman tonight. I’m off in the morning to look for her other stuff.