Errol Morris film about sports-themed funerals

13 Responses to “Errol Morris film about sports-themed funerals”

1. Paul Renault says:

I just don’t get the mindset behind getting tattoos, caskets, car decals, flags, etc, for corporate entities sports teams.

• SedanChair says:

Most folks want to belong to something bigger than themselves. I think we’d prefer they spend their time on charitable organizations rather than sports teams, but until Oxfam spokespeople can hit a 100 mph fastball I wouldn’t advise getting your hopes up.

• Lagged2Death says:

I agree.

I wouldn’t try to talk anyone out of being a fan of something they enjoy, mind you. But I have a hard time distinguishing, say, the desire to be buried in an Orioles casket from the desire to be buried in a Pepsi casket, a Chevrolet casket, or an iPod casket.

I understand that “Orioles fans” may constitute a social group with a shared background and culture, to some degree. But it seems shallow and fake compared to other social groups and subcultures. Alums of a school, members of a club, and Army vets may all be expected to share a considerable number of genuine experiences, but sports fans have, at best, shared vicarious experiences.

How would reactions to this phenomenon be different, I wonder, if these were video-game-themed caskets and ceremonies rather than sports-team-themed? If there were World Of Warcraft funerals, for example?

Then again, maybe that’s the future.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

How about a casket that looks like Fisher and Sons?

• Paul Renault says:

Phew, someone gets it.

Around the time that Hulk Hogan was pulling in millions of fans to catch can wrestling, a very funny guy was being interviewed in a queue by CBC Radio:
          “Why, are you standing in line to go see a WWF event?
          - Because I want to be part of Vince McMahon’s Master Plan!”

• Teller says:

Mindset – just think of pro sports as Comic-Con or MacWorld.

2. tedrock says:

When you say ‘short film’ you do mean ‘commercial for ESPN’, right?

3. What a bunch of negative nancies you all are. I thought it was sweet. Who cares if it’s by ESPN, it’s not like they’re you you’re ugly or unpopular like other commercials.

4. saint_al says:

I really don’t like sports, but the film was respectful and very well done.

Come to think of it, I don’t understand burials; it’s cremation here.

5. haineux says:

It may be a commercial for ESPN, but it’s also a damn interesting short film.

6. DJBentley says:

In 2000 the Baltimore Ravens were a four year old team. I can’t comprehend how anyone is that much of a fan of such a young team…

• Josh Berk says:

It could have to do with the legacy of football in Baltimore. When the Colts left Baltimore (sneaked out of town at midnight) back in the 80s it was crushing to the big football fans there. Then there was a tease of a team coming back a few times so when the Ravens finally arrived in 1996, fans flipped out & immediately embraced them with the passion only possible to one who has been deprived so long.

7. Pibi Gibi says:

I don’t understand funerals either, but we had a great time at my Dad’s when the priest asked every to sing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” as they rolled his casket out of the packed Catholic Church.  Half the people looked horrified and the other half were singing at the top of their lungs.