Set theory, Christians, and parody

15 Responses to “Set theory, Christians, and parody”

1. Sean Hyde-Moyer says:

Real Christians don’t support Set Theory.

It leads to civil unions.

(I’m here all week.)

2. Mantissa128 says:

It is, after all, only a theory.

3. Daemonworks says:

It’s pretty easy to fall for parodies of the far right christians. The stuff they get up to in real life is so crazy that comedians have a hard time coming up with stuff that’s even more insane.

• Theranthrope says:

You’ve unintentionally paraphrased Poe’s Law: “Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won’t mistake for the real thing.”

4. Shay Guy says:

Poe’s law in action again?

5. flyingvole says:

Wow… glad I wasn’t drinking anything when I read that comment. I just had a good laugh…

6. YamaraTheGod says:

Oh wow, how did I miss your original article last week! (ah, I was caught up in the World Boardgaming Championships in Lancaster is how) Set theory is one of the methods I consider that allows for polytheism, and now you say the fundies are already spooked by it?! Yes! Validation, baby.

Yeah, the infinity thing is what they’re trying to get ahead of the curve on. You’d think Trinitarians would welcome a bit of proof for their being multiple infinite beings, but oh well.

An infinite being isn’t a meaningful gauge for a human-scale morality. Christianity had a winning concept with that Incarnation-interface… but if there’s more than one way to build an interface… there could be… COMPETITION.

Quick! Somebody patent a Christ and slap some DRM on it!

7. chgoliz says:

I quite like the third response to that first comment, by Overthe River:

“I fully agree with Dr. Billings as to the lack of instruction in set theory in Christian schools. While, as Mr. Kissack points out, the concepts union and intersection of sets, or subsets are important, Christians teach the broader concept of Set Faith.
    I shall explain. We all know dinosaurs roamed the earth, and we all can agree humans roamed the earth. If we apply the concept of unions, we can clearly believe humans (such as Jesus) rode dinosaurs as they roamed the earth.
    An example used to explain the concept of set intersection can also be easily explained to mini-Christians as such: If we take the set of male humans and intersect it with the set of female humans the intersection is humans who are married; because we all know the definition of marriage is between one man and one woman.”

Not a Poe…just funny.