Why do NASA engineers like peanuts?

11 Responses to “Why do NASA engineers like peanuts?”

1. evilpeacock says:

Sheesh, I thought it was pretty obvious that the peanuts thing was to provide enough vitality for NASA employees to go through a matter transference beam — that is if any Vogons turn up.

2. haileris says:

I still think it’s more amusing to think that the REAL tradition is to say “penis” on air and passing peanuts around was just a clever way for them to get away with saying “penis” live on NASA TV.

3. Shashwath T.R. says:

I just assumed that was their pay…

4. Galen Shen says:

I think peanut shape can decrease more resistance of the air

5. Jake0748 says:

… “There was talk that JPL should be shut down…”   But luckily, cooler heads prevailed and everyone realized that shutting down a place with the coolest fucking name ever devised, “Jet Propulsion Laboratory” would be the height of folly.   Whew!

6. Lobster says:

HELP WANTED: Rocket physicists.  Willing to work long hours.  People with peanut allergy need not apply.

7. anansi133 says:

This story has been told for quite a while, but up until a week ago, the peanuts were always surrounded by chocolate and a candy aeroshell. Not exactly airbrushing out a discredited politician, but it makes me uncomfortable.

• anansi133 says:

OK, looks like I’m wrong on this one, I found a Donna Shirley passage that says peanuts back in the sojourner days. Coulda sworn I saw a picture of M&Ms in the control room, though!

8. ChickieD says:

I have an issue with the conclusion of the article that it was a success after all those failures. I think it was a success BECAUSE of all the failures. Having worked in R&D for so many years, it is frustrating how risk adverse companies are. They need to recognize that “failure” is part of the learning curve to success.

• cecilia FXX says:

I completely agree. The real meaning of “failure” is to never try.
      you only get to your goals when you learn from your mistakes.