Negativland art show in Los Angeles

8 Responses to “Negativland art show in Los Angeles”

1. inkfumes says:

I like these guys, I listen to some “Over The Edge” episodes so many times I scare myself.

2. Bradley Horowitz says:

Negativland rocks.  I brought them in to speak with hackers at Yahoo back circa 2005 because they were at the forefront of teasing out the IP issues of remix culture (that are obviously still not resolved today.)

3. jandrese says:

[quote]Only the reproduction of pre-existing works in whole and unchanged should be prohibited without permission.[/quote]

If there were no scumbags in the world this would be a perfectly fine solution, but if that were the case we wouldn’t need laws like this in the first place.

If someone grabs a piece of art and changes 1 pixel (making it 0.1% more blue), should they be exempt from copyright restrictions and be able to sell the piece as their own original?  If there were a simple answer to copyright we wouldn’t be in this mess.

4. taras says:

Here’s an interview between someone from Negativland and someone from U2.

…and here it is in audio: http://www.u2interview.com/negativland-mondo-2000-interview/

5. Don Joyce says:

As to “ignoring the law and creating good work.” I should add that I  ignore it all the time. I am currently making large collages out of paper calendar prints, cutting them up a lot but also using a smaller whole print once in a while – a whole small picture as it appears in a magazine, etc.
    Overall, I’m tapping hundreds of sources for these collages. No payment, no permission. I couldn’t make them if I had to be legal legal.

6. Amelia_G says:

LOVED THIS, thank you, no idea before. The links are all wonderful so far. Bopst Show = good.