In post-Soviet Russia, Siberian banana just looks at you

37 Responses to “In post-Soviet Russia, Siberian banana just looks at you”

1. bcsizemo says:

So by that extension vodka is Siberian water?

2. voiceinthedistance says:

Sometimes a banana is just a banana . . . and sometimes it isn’t.

3. ribbed,  for her pleasure.

4. Brie says:

Looks cold.

5. zarray says:

embryonic pickles

6. FuturaCity says:

Kt’s just a soursop and is delicious.

7. MonkeyBoy says:

I was at a banquet in St. Petersberg before the fall of the Berlin wall.

On the table there was plenty of vodka, Georgian champagne, caviar, etc.

At at each end of the table, high in a silver bowl raised 3 feet above the table was a bunch of a bananas. They were so rare and precious I think we were just supposed to admire them. At that time bananas were completely unavailable to ordinary Russians.

• Татьяна Свиридова says:

Not really. Yes, there were not a single banana in most Russian sities and towns but in Moscow and Leningrad you could buy them easily. Alas, I lived in a bananaless sity!

• MonkeyBoy says:

I doubt even in Moscow and Leningrad that bananas were for sale in the state run stores for the general public – though there may have been  such rumors in the hinterlands.

At the banquet, we guessed that the bananas were being placed off limits so they could be diverted to the black market.

8. sam1148 says:

Just don’t mention gay rights Cory, or let them know you might have homosexual characters in your books. That’s a big fine in Russian.

9. nixiebunny says:

Look at the deadly banana peel in the latest XKCD comic.

Just look at it.

10. BombBlastLightingWaltz says:

Looks like the Siberski studded dildo.

11. This is a cucumber, no ??

12. alex kapets says:

This is definitely a cucumber.
    St.-Petersburg is not a Siberia.

13. slor says:

I don’t get it.

14. Alex Kim says:

Quite a poetic kenning. Sorta like “budgie smuggler”.

15. Björn Mars says:

Reminds me of the  famous cover of November 1989 by the West German satirical magazine “Titanic”. The title reads: “Zonen-Gaby (17) in luck (FRG): My first banana”. “Zone” refers to East Germany’s informal name “sowjetische Besatzungszone” (soviet-occupied area). After the fall of the border, the first thing many Easterners bought in West German supermarkets were, of course, bananas.

• I grew up in East Germany and I can’t stand Bananas (never could, even the smell makes me want to poke my eyes out).
      Imagine the amount of “spoiled brat” comments my parents and I had to endure from well-meaning banana offerers!

16. pjcamp says:

It might look back.

17. ” Banana Siberski”. I forgot to write what i first thought about that:  Typical Russian gallows humour that tells us something about the general unobtainability of bananas in the “Workers Paradise”…