Free Pussy Riot [Jasmina Tesanovic]

16 Responses to “Free Pussy Riot [Jasmina Tesanovic]”

1. Help with Pussy Riot’s defense fund with a t-shirt purchase. 100% of the proceeds goes directly to the women’s lawyers in Moscow.

2. Palindrome says:

What a great statement of HUMAN LIBERATION!  I applaud PUSSY RIOT and their tactics.

In fact, I think it’s time someone opposes the unjust and interminable oppression of the Palestinian people, by a STATE that aligns itself wholly with one religion and ethnicity.

I think taking over a synagogue by a heavy-metal bondage girl-group, hurling obscenities and religious intolerance at their unappreciative audience of unappreciative, religious ART HATING Jews is the way to really create a statement and forge the solidarity of international sisterhood resistance to oppression!  Mock the books and rituals of this state-sponsored patriarchy! Defile the supposed “holiness” of their sanctuary!

What?  You mean that’s not the same thing? Oh, sorry.

3. rattypilgrim says:

Bare chested macho man, Putin (like Paul Ryan) is afraid of 3 young women. Both consider themselves the epitome of their nation’s manhood (because they’re both delirious and sociopathic). Why are so many men afraid of women? Afraid to the point of punishing them and denying their rights and equality. Why?

4. I disgust me says:

Perhaps you should read about the actions of their anarchist affiliation Voina before claiming they act in your name:
    Not all female dissent is inherently feminist.

The men who have abused the human rights of Pussy Riot are not just in the Russian state. Be suspicious. The circus surrounding this case is not because of a concern for feminist expression, it is because they are three young, attractive women in a band named Pussy Riot.

Where was the outraged media coverage for Anna Politkovskaya?

5. Amelia_G says:

I want to say Putin/putain, but that’s not at all helpful.

6. TheMudshark says:

This poster rules.

7. wysinwyg says:

Not sure why everyone feels the need to talk shit to pile on top of the two years of forced labor these women are sentenced to… or the guilt by association by claiming they’re the exact same thing as Voina.  Something’s fishy about all this noise.

The more I read the comments the more I become convinced there’s some warehouse full of people being paid to plaster every comment section on the internet with authoritarian bullshit.

• Dan Hibiki says:

Sorry, not everyone is as excited about the pet cause of the week.
      Not everything can be the next Kony.

• I disgust me says:

The intention is to question why the West is paying so much attention to Pussy Riot under the guise of female liberation (as well as free speech) but neglects to do so when the subjects are not young, conventionally attractive females who make good use of sexual provocation in self-sabotaging political stunts. It’s analogous to the ‘Slutwalks’, in this sense.

It’s possible to do this and also believe they should never have been arrested. But anything other than a simple treatment doesn’t seem nearly as popular, because people don’t actually give a fuck about the state of female liberation.

8. Luther Blissett says:

I am really interested in this point: “And for that matter, what would happen to American punk artists invading a Mormon Tabernacle to insult Mitt Romney?”

In the country where I live, we DO have a blasphemy law. And you can get a three-years sentence for that. It’s rarely put in effect. Still, I would think there would be serious consequences if you, e.g. would dance around with masks the altar of a church as a form of political protest. Therefore, they’d dub the three “rioters” unforgiven – and the media circus here is BULLSHIT squared.

But what about the US?
    I guess it would be an official outrage to dance on the altar of any church in the US, but what about the law? And what about, let’s say, three feminists with masks protesting by singing a punk version of, you know, “O! thus be it ever, when freewomen shall stand…”?
    Imagine maybe Lady Gaga, Madonna and Yoko Ono doing that.  Just in front of a Mormon temple against Mr. Romney’s views on abortion (which I don’t know about in detail, mind…)?

Now, anyone with a degree in law who can seriously comment on that?
    I know your (and the british) system work differently than our codified law – but could you be so kind to enlighten me if there is a precedence to this hypothetical situation?

9. Palindrome says:

Blasphemy laws are a red-herring.  The issue is bigotry and freedom.

Supposing it were “anti-semitic” to protest like this in a synagogue, why is it NOT a hate-crime to do so in a Russian church?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Well, if you completely ignore that the protest might actually be about something, that might make sense. But it’s just a straw man argument. If a synagogue were actively colluding with the government to bring about totalitarianism, the protest wouldn’t be antisemitic.

10. Susan Carley Oliver says:

I’m less than thrilled that the illustration uses a nickname for my genitalia to connote “Coward”.

Man up! Sack up! Have some balls! = strength, courage.

What a pussy! Bitch out (as in losing one’s nerve). = weakness.

Sigh.