Women in atheism: a tour through history

21 Responses to “Women in atheism: a tour through history”

1. i feel like i only started to really live when i stopped believing an in afterlife.

2. I wouldn’t use ‘atheism’ and ‘secularism’ interchangeably.

• petertrepan says:

I second this. The more people are aware of the difference between secularism and atheism, the easier it is to distinguish between religious people who can live with atheists versus those who can’t.

3. Daniel Maycock says:

It is just me – or is there a conference / group for everything these days? I’m surprised it’s not the atheist feminist minority atlas shrugged league for feminist minority atheists that believe in in the principles of Ayn Rand between the years 1956 & 1958 (not to be confused with the Atheist feminist minority fountainhead league).

4. theophrastvs says:

how many world religions have been established by women?  (nah the vestal virgins and Pythias don’t count)  now how many have been established with women in mind?   so no more religion until the flying spaghetti monster is properly established to be the one true pasta goddess  (those ain’t meatballs folks)  next up:  only folks with two X chromosomes (all in the same nucleus [finger wag]) may be licensed to carry hand-guns.

5. Amelia_G says:

Wonderful! So articulate. Thank you.

Jennifer Michael Hecht is great too. (I am *such* a JMH fan.)

6. Amelia_G says:

This talk is glorious. One interesting item: “Nothing fails like prayer” is a good one. I’ve been thinking about prayer as a type of worrying, institutionally encouraged. In children.

7. Amelia_G says:

Oh, shoot, now serious.

56:06: “In the Hispanic/Latin American community [women] have it twice as hard.” Yes, they do! and it kills me. I don’t know how to deal with this. I don’t even have patience to pretend any more. And I have a sister-in-law my age in Argentina dying of AIDS because of the double standard. I can’t save the relatives my age, it’s too late. Yet still because of denieces and denephews, I have Zugszwang, I really need good answers fast.It might be too late–if you’ve watched a father tell his son in front of his not-yet-speaking but everything understanding daughter, “yes guapo, fun stuff is for boys, not for girls.”

• petertrepan says:

Well, the older generation might take issue if you read their kids Ingersoll, but you could offer to read them the Bible. Most Christians have heard about Adam and Eve, Noah’s ark, and Moses versus the Pharaoh, but not as many have heard about the sack of Midian, the mysterious unpardonable sin, or the prohibition against clothes of two fabrics. An actual thorough reading of the Bible has created more freethinkers than anything else I know of. Don’t use the New International Version. It has been worded to make the offensive parts more confusing to the reader.