28 Responses to “Bruce Campbell has seen the new Evil Dead, still swears it's awesome, is probably making a cameo”

1. mindysan33 says:

I’m not excited about this movie at all.  But I still love Bruce Campbell, damn it!  If chins could talk, indeed.   Bubba-Hotep is an amazing movie.  He is the only person on earth now who should be allowed to play Elvis…

But yeah.   Not at all excited about this remake.  Sorry Bruce!  :-/

2. Brainspore says:

Before anyone gets too excited, don’t forget that Ash didn’t get his chainsaw hand until “Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn.”

3. Christopher says:

I’m showing my age but I was too young to see the original Evil Dead in the theater. In fact I don’t even remember it being out. The same is true of  Evil Dead II, although, in college, my friends and I rented it so many times it would have been cheaper if we’d just bought a copy.

So seeing Army Of Darkness in the theater had a special thrill for me–especially since the theaters in my area only seemed to allow it one screening before they yanked it.

And I’m looking forward to the new one. Also I’m still miffed that I still haven’t gotten a chance to see Evil Dead: The Musical.

• dmatos says:

For the love of all that is holy, unholy, or neutral, get a seat in the splatter zone when you do finally get to see Evil Dead: The Musical.

4. zotlerg says:

I’m not convinced that an increased budget makes a better Evil Dead.
    Part of these film’s charm was their spontaneous craziness, they were funny because of the neat hand held camera tricks, not to mention the Plasticine animations. Wait – well I guess the animations could do with some work… hmmm.

5. Yuri Duncan says:

IMO – the budget is of no consequence.  In order for this to be a true ED, you simply have to spend 14 minutes on the front-end, introducing characters. Then you launch into a non-stop eye-bleeding laugh-out-loud experience that simply never quits.  That, and lots of first-person camera action.

6. Ian Wood says:

If it’s evil and it’s dead, I’m for it. There simply aren’t enough evil dead things around. More evil, more dead, I’m a happy guy. A happy, evil, dead guy.

7. pierre says:

I just dont get the need to remake it.  There is already an awesome evil dead movie, the original.

What are they gonna do, add cellphones?  Horrible CGI special effects?

• GlyphGryph says:

… you realize that they did, in fact, remake the original, right? It was called Evil Dead 2 and it was pretty popular…

• People seem to be forgetting that the original Evil Dead was not the kind of splatstick comedy romp that the franchise turned into. It was made and sold as a straight-up horror movie, and that’s how it played to audiences when it first came out. Yes, it was stylish and surreal, and some of the violent choreography was inspired by 3 Stooges shorts, but
        that only made it more shocking. And frankly, the woman-being-raped-by-a-tree sequence alone takes that first film out of the horror-comedy genre and into someplace much darker.

ED2 belongs with Re-Animator and Dead/Alive as a splatstick genre-definer, but the original ED is more like combining the OTT gore of H.G. Lewis with the sustained anxiety and madness of Hooper’s original TCM.

I’m curious to see which way the remake goes on this spectrum. I think I’d be rather pleased if the remake emphasized the horror aspect over the splatstick stuff, but I imagine I’m in the minority.

• B E Pratt says:

I remember desperately wanting to see the first Evil Dead after reading a review by the inimitable Joe Bob Briggs that had this breathless line:  ” And get this! There’s a scene where a girl is raped by the woods. I don’t mean ‘in the woods’, I mean BY THE WOODS!!’ [paraphrasing, but that should be close]

8. Thad Boyd says:

Raimi’s approached this from the beginning as wanting to give an up-and-comer a shot at doing his own take, and I respect that.  Maybe it’ll be good and maybe it’ll be bad and maybe it’ll be so bad it’s good or maybe it’ll just be mediocre (which I think would be the worst fate of all; bad movies are way more fun than mediocre ones).

I’d like to see Raimi and Campbell continue the series from Army of Darkness too, but I don’t object to a new Evil Dead on principle.  We’ll see how it goes.

9. Dan Hibiki says:

I don’t even care if there is another evil dead, I’d just like Raimi and Campbell do a comedy together.

The name and continuity of evil dead is irrelevant.

10. Mister44 says:

I’m  looking forward to it. I think they acknowledge that they have big shoes to fill and hopefully won’t let us down.

11. RJ says:

Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell working together? I am 100% in favor of it. If you’re not, you’re a filthy interloper among us, and you ought to be TOSSED INTO THE PIT.

12. mobobo says:

It’s great we get to see and have more Evil Dead, sure the first owes much to the innovation a shoestring budget can bring – but I am salivating with anticipation at the prospect of a new member to the family with fancy special effects.

Yo she-bitch, let’s go!

13. dolo54 says:

I’ll check it out, but I am dubious that the big budget will out do the original. The ghetto fabulousness of the original is what made it so great. Look at other examples of big budget effects ‘improving’ a movie >cough George Lucas cough<

14. AwesomeRobot says:

Evil Dead 2 is still my favorite remake of Evil Dead. We’ll see how this one goes.

15. I’m not always certain that Bruce is able to look at these kinds of things objectively. People may  recall a slew of Evil Dead video games that came out in the early to mid 2000s, and at the time, every time, Bruce told us how it was gonna be the greatest thing we’d ever seen, and lived up to the ED name. But God bless him those games were at best boring and at worst unplayable, so it’s made it really hard for me to believe him at face value when he plugs something as great. Maybe it’s just that Bruce doesn’t really understand or play games, and was sold by the pitch the developers or publishers gave him, or something, and maybe the Evil Dead remake really will be amazing like he says. I really hope so, but I’m holding my optimism at bay until I see some reviews.

16. MaTTLoughlin says:

I met Bruce Campbell once. He was a money-grubbing asshole, who has now ruined anything associated with him for me. But truly, who cares if they make a crappy remake. The original film is still there to enjoy. And hell, it may end up being good…

17. cymk says:

My knee jerk reaction is to hate it, but I’m going to have to wait and see it. Raimi still has yet to direct or produce something that I have outright hated. It may not be a good Evil Dead movie but it may be a good movie.

18. Ben Branham says:

If they would’ve picked some other person than Diablo Cody to  write the script then it might have made me more excited to see a new “Evil Dead” type movie.  Diablo Cody is a horrible choice for a horror writer.  We’ll see. I love ya, Bruce but I’ll be pissed if you are just trying to sell us schlock to make a buck.

• cymk says:

I don’t know; I saw Juno, it didn’t completely feel like chewing on broken glass, but I did not see Jennifer’s Body so maybe her writing took a sharp left to Rusty-Nails-Under-My-Fingers-ville (Megan Fox gets the distinction of spoilling that movie for me). I’m sure they could have found someone worse to write the new ED too.