"…when officers searched [Marcus] Banwell they found another four [Scotch Bonnet] chili peppers in his pocket, a stolen milkshake and fruit juice, and a clarinet stashed in his waistband, which was missing from a music shop." Scotch Bonnets are up to 50 times hotter than jalapeños by weight.

16 Responses to “Alleged shoplifter has a fit after stealing and eating extra hot chili pepper, enabling police to arrest him”

1. Brainspore says:

I had the fleeting thought “why would anyone steal a milkshake?” but the answer seems pretty self-evident.

2. Jerril says:

You want dairy with your hot peppers, that’s for sure.

3. Mitchell Glaser says:

They sentenced him to 14 weeks in jail. By which time his butt may have stopped burning.

4. miasm says:

And most eclectic thief of the year award goes to…

5. Maneki Nico says:

Is that a clarinet in your waistband, or are you just happy to see me?

6. Paul Renault says:

A few years ago, I was surprised to discover some Scotch Bonnet peppers in a local supermarket.  Under a sign that read “Miniature Peppers”.

I found the department’s manager and suggested that it might be a good idea to change the sign.

7. The Dark Roux says:

Since chiles are usually sold by weight, and one requires a very small number of scotch bonnets to make absolutely anything fiery hot, it seems like a very strange thing to steal.  I use them quite often, but I don’t think I’ve ever left the grocery store with more than $0.15 worth in a single trip.

• Tribune says:

Maybe he looked them up on the internet and got the same first hit as I did for price:

Scotch Bonnet PepperMin. Order: 10 Metric TonsFOB Price: US $1000-2000 / Metric Ton

8. IronEdithKidd says:

We planted our hottest peppers (ghost and scotch bonnet) nearest the sidewalk in case anyone got the notion to steal some.  If anyone does, they’ll be really sorry about it.