East German advertisements of the 1950s and 1960s

19 Responses to “East German advertisements of the 1950s and 1960s”

1. User 100 says:

I fail to see the “propaganda” in any of those ads.
    Any of them could just as well have come from West Germany.

• retepslluerb says:

The text is in German. It *must* be propaganda.

• paulcarcosa says:

Not the one with the blue pioneer necktie.
      I would say there is some subtle difference in the designs, but that’s debatable.

• retepslluerb says:

I’m debating it.

The Bino has a different design, too.  The blue pioneer necktie was standard issue (more or less) and the text itself doesn’t contain any propaganda or even a politcal statement.  The festival itself is a couple of hundred years old.

The place “am Zoo” dates the poster to 1949–1952, according to German wikipedia.

• paulcarcosa says:

My remark was only about the “could just as well come from West Germany” part, where the necktie would have seemed misplaced.
          You can tell more often than not whether some artifact belongs to east or west. I’m just not sure in these particular cases presented here.

• retepslluerb says:

Oh, okay, yes. The blue necktie would place it, even w/out the text.

I think the clear difference bewteen Western and Eastern artifacts is a thing of the lates 60s and 70s and 80s. East German design seemed more stagnant to me.  Probably both a matter of ressources and being cut off from the rest of the world (safe the East Bloc, of course). Plus, less planned obsolescence via fashions.

• paulcarcosa says:

There’s politics even in the design of water bottles.
          Die geteilte Form: Deutsch-deutsche Designaffären
          (about the differences of design on both sides of the wall)
          industrieform-ddr.de (author’s homepage)

2. Sven Haynes says:

I thought the advertisement was typical for it’s era. Where was the “propaganda” element?

3. not just ’50s and ’60s, the circular-headed FEWA lady was around right until the brand was bought out (by P & G I think) in the early 1990′s

4. hacky says:

I’m not a big enough geek to know why boingboing’s logo changed.   Anyone care to enlighten me?

5. ChicagoD says:

I saw Goodbye Lenin! for the first time a few weeks ago. The depiction in these ads and that movie together portray a sort of soft-focus sweetness to East Germany that is utterly at odds with the propaganda I grew up with. My expectation is that the truth is somewhere between Ostalgie and Reagan-era vilification.

6. coop says:

“advertisements that combine propaganda and sales-pitches”

Isn’t that what advertising does?

7. capl says:

Der Spiegel has a great historical media collection called “Eines Tages” roughly “once upon a time”. They had an article about DDR Ads here: http://einestages.spiegel.de/static/topicalbumbackground/5331/koenig_kunde_kauft_im_konsum.html
    Or you can search the database for items like this http://einestages.spiegel.de/static/AllDocuments/searchForm.html?formids=pageNo%2Ckeyword%2CsearchButton%2CisImageSelected%2CisVideoSelected%2CisPdfSelected%2CsortOptions&submitmode=submit&submitname=&pageNo=0&keyword=ddr+werbung&searchButton.x=0&searchButton.y=0&searchButton=submit&isImageSelected=on&isVideoSelected=on&isPdfSelected=on&sortOptions=0#searchResults

8. s2redux says:

What a cute little StasiBear on the sofa!

9. Antinous / Moderator says:

Advertisement is a subset of propaganda (“information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.”).