13 Responses to “MPAA says "they're doing something" about offering legit services, ignores the fact that they're doing it poorly”

1. Jake0748 says:

Oh good. I get to make the first comment.  And it is:  Christ, what (clueless) assholes.

Thank you, carry on.

• Anthony MacPherson says:

That was a really long way of just claiming “First!” :P

• Jake0748 says:

No, really!  I just wanted to express the long-held and widely-held 0pinion that the mpaa and all “artistic rights business units” suck and are assholish.  Being first was just a bonus.  :D

2. nixiebunny says:

They could start by getting Netflix to put their DVD catalog on the Netflix streaming service. I mean, really?

• Jake0748 says:

The phrase “too little, too late”, comes to mind.

• Thad Boyd says:

Nah, I don’t think so.

Allowing a la carte pricing for cable TV stations would, at this point, be too little too late.  But sticking everything on Netflix or Hulu?  That would give most viewers exactly what they want.  (Yes, I prefer to own things, and to have local copies that are not subject to Internet connection hiccups and availability.  But most people seem to be a lot less picky than I am.)

I wonder what the piracy rate is for shows or movies that are available on Netflix and Hulu.  Someone should compare the numbers.

• This. Every time I find a movie on Netflix and it says “Add” and not “Play”, I’m like, WTF?

3. ocatagon says:

He says piracy is growing exponentially, but guess what: legitimate online video is growing exponentially too. More and more people are watching video online – of course it’s going to grow. It’s going to keep growing until everyone is watching all their video online.

4. Matthew Stone says:

At this point, I think the most helpful way the MPAA could contribute to developing online movie services is to go out of business.

And don’t worry, moral guardians. We can find someone else to rate our films for theaters. The circle of life will continue somehow.

5. mobobo says:

Farting can also be considered as “offering something”.

6. msbpodcast says:

People? What are these people of whom you speak?

Oh Human rights… What a fascinating concept.

I think that Spielberg has an option on that…

7. Blaven says:

Why does it cost $3.99 to watch a movie like “The Dictator” on Amazon.com while it only costs $1.20 to rent the disk from Redbox?  You would think it would be the other way around, since shipping and stocking disks in boxes around the country has got to be more expensive than pushing bits through the internet.

The only thing I can think is that the MPAA wants to discourage legitimate downloads in a desperate attempt to hold on to their outdated hard media business model.  Which is a shame, as the more barriers they put up, the more pirate sites pop up and the more viewers get used to illegal downloads.