13 Responses to “If you like funny comedy ladies, you might be interested in discovering the Gorgeous Ladies of Comedy”

1. Chentzilla says:

>Read about why we shouldn’t pay any mind to the repeatedly disproven trope that women aren’t funny
    Let me guess, because it’s repeatedly disproven?

2. Paul Renault says:

GLOC?  Why doesn’t anyone think of their kids!

/It’s OK, I’ll wait for you to get it…

3. giantasterisk says:

Of all the names they could have come up with, they decided to call themselves the “Gorgeous Ladies of Comedy?” Really? Really.

Reminds me of how my 83 year old father talks about women. He’s a bit of a storyteller, and if the story he’s telling you has a woman in it, he always lets you know upfront what her level of attractiveness is, even though it has no bearing on the story whatsoever.:

“A young woman rang me up at the grocery store the other day. She wasn’t a very attractive woman, but anyway…”

Personally, I don’t need my comedians to be gorgeous. Doesn’t make them funny. Mentioning that they’re gorgeous — also not funny.

• IanM_66 says:

I think the “Gorgeous” part is a self-conscious, light-hearted nod to exactly that sort of sexism. It’s humor!

• Antinous / Moderator says:

It’s a reference to GLOW.  Did you skip the first comment?

• giantasterisk says:

No, just read the comment now. So GLOW also did comedy sketches. Who knew?

I guess my main gripe is that the entertainment industry has become so obsessed with attractiveness, especially women’s, that no matter what area you’re in you have to be hot hot hot. Seems like even classical musicians are hot these days. It’s tiresome, uninteresting, and ubiquitous. Sure, that might make good fodder for a stand-up routine, but it’s just so disappointing that when many of our funniest female comedians band together, they do it under the banner of “Gorgeous.” Et tu, ladies?

But maybe I’m blind to the fact that the name is incredibly clever and hilarious. Let me see if I can muster up a little laughter at the reference.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Maybe you’d prefer Wisecracks or Titters (for which I can’t find any reference.)

• IanM_66 says:

Sheesh. No one said it was hilarious, or laugh-out-loud funny, but the name, in part, is a way of mocking exactly the obsession with attractiveness that you’re complaining about. How are you still not getting this? They agree with you, and the name is just a small, sarcastic way of saying exactly what you’re saying.

4. IanM_66 says:

“the repeatedly disproven trope that women aren’t funny”

Who is actually out there saying women aren’t funny? Or less funny than men? I feel like I’m always hearing about how it’s being debunked, but I’ve never heard of anyone making the claim in the first place, at least not in my lifetime. I was never even aware that the belief existed until people started saying it had been disproven by, say, Tina Fey or Amy Poehler. Or Gilda Radner decades before them.

I’m just saying. If that was a widely held belief at some point, it probably hasn’t been for some time, so I wish we’d stop talking about it and comparing the relative funniness of the sexes. No one is trying to keep you down, female funny people. Let’s just move on.

• Why Women Aren’t Funny, by Christopher Hitchens in Vanity Fair.  Of course, only humorless women’s libbers got upset about it, but to be fair, it was only one of the generation’s most-admired writers being published in one of America’s leading magazines way back in 200-freaking-7.

• IanM_66 says:

Hm. Okay, good point. Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember that piece. The article’s (probably deliberately) inflammatory title aside, though, even Hitchens is making a much more measured point and takes great care to point out that there are plenty of great female comedians. I suspect most of the outrage was among people who didn’t actually read the piece.

Hitchens seems to be making some more general point that humor is a tool that men use to attract women, whereas women don’t need to develop that sort of skill because they’re nice to look at. Which just doesn’t ring true to me. Maybe it’s a generational thing (I was born in the 80s), but in my experience humor is valued in women just as much as in men, when it comes to dating or anything else. Any way of thinking that claims otherwise just seems foreign to me.