25 Responses to “Vera Farmiga set to play Norman Bates' infamous mother in A&E's Psycho prequel series”

1. Deidzoeb says:

I try to remain open to remakes and reboots and money-making fan fiction, because it’s all part of remix culture. But somehow I don’t think a Mrs. Bates tv series is going to turn out anywhere near as cool as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

2. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

Will there be wacky neighbors and crazy hijinks?   Will there be a “Norman Bates and his mom go to Hawaii” episode?

• Brainspore says:

Will there be a “Norman Bates and his mom go to Hawaii” episode?

If they saved that one until after the taxidermy incident it could basically be a remake of “Weekend at Bernie’s.”

3. Brainspore says:

When you watch Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho and see the corpse of Norman Bates’ mother revealed, don’t you wonder what she used to look like?

I must have watched that movie wrong. I thought the twist ending was that the killer was some kind of knife-wielding zombie.

4. William Walsh says:

I always imagined her looking a bit like Olivia Hussey.

5. ChicagoD says:

I see a minor Oedipal complex in Norman’s future.

6. unclemike says:

Psycho IV already did this, with Henry Thomas as young Norman and Olivia Hussey as his mom.

• Donald Petersen says:

Since it was made for Showtime in 1990 or so, not too many people know it exists.  It’s worth seeing.

7. Typically, aren’t crazed psychos like jokes… if you have to explain them, they lose their appeal?

8. Neil Shurley says:

I, for one, have never wondered what Norman Bates’ mother looked like, despite having seen the film many times. Oh well.

• Brainspore says:

Other screen characters who I never thought to wonder what they looked like before they were corpses:

• The Cryptkeeper
      • That one skeleton from “Raiders of the Lost Ark” with the snake that comes out of its mouth
      • The head in one background shot from “Game of Thrones” which caused a minor kerfuffle for HBO after it turned out to be a recycled George W. Bush head in a wig
      • “Night of the Living Dead” extra #37
      • Joan Rivers

• SomeGuyNamedMark says:

Don’t you want the backstory to every character who pops up in a movie?

9. Terry Thome says:

There was already a “Bates Motel” TV show with Bud Cort. It was on NBC in the late 80s. Only the pilot movie aired.

10. Mark Temporis says:

There could be an officious butler character who always addresses Norman as ‘Young Master’ Bates. Yes I am mentally like twelve.

11. “Norma Bates”?   Can’t imagine why a son named for his mother would develop oedipal issues…

12. bunkyboar says:

Is it wrong to say I think Vera Farmiga has an exotic look?

• blueelm says:

Not wrong, but what does exotic mean? She looks like a pretty skinny white lady with medium/light brown hair and blue/green eyes. She’d look very exotic in some places, and pretty common in others. Scrolling down I thought it was an Olsen.

13. Halloween_Jack says:

Horror movie prequels/origin stories are usually a sign that the last drops of blood are being squeezed out of the stone–think Hannibal Rising or that one for Freddy Krueger. Some things are better left to the imagination.

14. I would also like to see how Darth Vader became so evil.