New social media horror movie XOXO will be directed by George Nolfi

18 Responses to “New social media horror movie XOXO will be directed by George Nolfi”

1. Chentzilla says:

XOXO? How do you even read this? I first thought “Like” was a name, and now think it’s a better one.

Also, I’d watch a horror movie based on deviantART.

2. Boundegar says:

Haven’t the Japanese already done this?

• WhyBother says:

Or Fear dot com. For every movie like Psycho that makes you nervous to get in the shower, there’re thirty that make you cringe at how anyone managed to take the plot seriously.

3. regnad_kcin says:

I thought xoxo was some kinda festival

4. Rich Keller says:

I finally watched Adjustment Bureau on DVD a couple of nights ago after watching Four Lions.

Are they going to do a scary augmented reality game that sends you  menacing texts as a marketing thing?

5. spocko says:

Well a great tv episode was written about this. It’s called Black Mirror and Channel 4 out of the UK broadcast it on December 2011.

The episode is about how someone uses social media to force a politician to do unspeakable acts to save a girl’s life. It explores how social media can be used as a weapon.

There are 3 episodes in the series, each does a take on the future of social media, Facebook and privacy issues, American Idol like voting someone “up” or “off the island” and the use of twitter, and YouTube to terrorize a politician.
    You can watch it on the Channel 4 site.
    The best Horror/SF series I watched all year

6. Gilbert Wham says:

^^^ Done by Charlie Brooker, who also did ‘Dead Set’ (Big Brother W/Zombies), and used to write scathing PC Games reviews. Also, he writes one of the few tolerable columns in the Guardian.

7. Pedantic Douchebag says:

I’ll take Movie Pitches That Might Have Been Slightly Relevant Three Years Ago for $500, Alex!

8. So… much like most sci-fi movies and shows are increasingly anti-sci-fi (and about the dangers of playing God! e.g. the ‘Battlestar Galactica’ reboot, and its ludicrous, “Send the ships into the sun, angels will protect us,” twaddle), and horror movies are about how great Jesus is (how many movies about demons and possession have their been recently?), we now have another film with a largely fear-based, right-wing agenda – all the internets is out to get us, lolz!

Pass.

• Frederik says:

You’re reading way too much into those movies. Christianity in horror and sci fi isn’t about converting you to the faith, it’s about using existing myths to create a nice framework for storytelling.

As a non religouse person I see Christianity as one of the best fantasy universes ever created. It’s got everything; angels, demons, magic, ancient rituals and plenty of room for conspiracies. It makes for great stories, nothing more.
      Same with horror about media and technology, it’s not meant to make you fear the internet. It’s having some fun with things that are a part of everyday life.

9. PKMousie says:

You’ve blocked me on Facebook, now you’re going to die!

10. sata blank says:

Does anyone remember that movie Strangeland that Dee Snider wrote and starred in ? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124102/  I think it might have been the first movie I had seen using the “omg the internet is full of strangers who will murder you” plot.
    It was also amazingly bad, but I can’t remember if it was good bad or just awful.

11. I  can’t say that I have any real desire to see the film, I think it would bore me to tears, but I love the picture that you used in your post :)