17 Responses to “Guns 'n' Roses' "Sweet Child O'Mine," performed in polka on Huell Howser's "California Gold" (not)”

1. Angryjim says:

The original (non-gunsnroses) version is 100 times better. That machine is pretty amazing.

2. naught_for_naught says:

Joe rocks!

3. Gilbert Wham says:

Ye gods, where has this machine been all my life? It needs to be amplified through an auxetophone, and broadcast from my roof, stat.

4. I just crapped myself harder than I ever did watching that.  Just saying.

And I want it as a ringtone.  ANd it’s the best G’N’R song ever.

5. I also want one of these for my yoga studio.  It kicks the shiva out of a harmonium.

6. bestdamengineer says:

That’s amazing!!!!!!! Wow!!!

7. Boundegar says:

I don’t get this at all.  Why would you do a story about a musician…  and then delete and replace the sound track?  Especially THIS sound track?

• Donald Petersen says:

Oh, I get it, yes indeedy I do.  As entertaining as Joe’s piece was (and it was HUGELY entertaining), I had tears streaming down my cheeks at the GNR version.  That song has never sounded better in my life.

This man could have singlehandedly saved Chinese Democracy and we’d have heard it 13 years earlier.

• The closest I can really come to explaining it without ruining it:

I think the video assumes familiarity with the original, which was fairly widely circulated on Reddit and the like. The joke, at least in part, is how completely ludicrous it is for these genial old Californian putterers to be doing a polka version of… a Guns and Roses song, of all the damn things?!

The humor comes from how wildly inappropriate and implausible the song choice is (especially given the host and musician), how much an 80s hair metal song does NOT need bells and circus whistles, and… how weirdly appealing the song is with them anyhow.

8. Antinous / Moderator says:

Polka will never die.

• B E Pratt says:

For those not in the know, check out Brave Combo, a band from Denton, TX which has been fearlessly merging polka with rock and worldbeat for years. They even did an album with Tiny Tim! which is actually quite good. You just haven’t lived until you hear Tiny Tim with Brave Combo doing a lounge version of “Stairway To Heaven”. Just awesome. [Another song on the album (which is titled 'Girl') called "Springtime in the Rockies" is just haunting.] Oh hell, and let’s not for get “Hey Jude” as a near psychedelic cha-cha-cha. Too, too weird.

9. Terry Fairbrother says:

That sir has made my day

10. Manel says:

Everything about this is perfect.

11. xbox361 says:

all i see is the beauty of humanity in his performance
    inspiring
    and i ain’t an ironic kind of guy

12. noah django says:

every.  damn.  day.
    that guy lives in the apartment below me.  SHUT UP, JOE!