They are very white and male indeed. [Buzzfeed]

13 Responses to “How white and male are new web publishing platforms?”

1. Benjamin Terry says:

Yay!  We’re winning!  **High 5s his demographic compatriots**  Good work, team! I thought teams Japanese Male or Indian Male would give us some competition, but it looks like we’ve got this.  I say we tackle robot companions next. Or… for a real challenge we could go head to head with team Japanese Female in the lifespan category.   We will need to incorporate elements of their diet into a new chicken wing technology.

2. Susanna King says:

Whatevah, we got Pinterest! Right, ladies?

3. psychedelicdonut says:

Svbtle’s user base is 0.8% less white that Provo, I know that’s not the point.
    At any rate, if these sites are operating English only Betas then I would assume their user base would be predominately white. They should not be this predominately white, as the English speaking world is relatively diverse. I think the more pressing issue is the low percentage of female participation.
    If they did a similar study on the user base of a Mandarin only website the study would probably conclude that the majority of their user base is…Asian. Though I don’t think anyone would read or give any head to that study.

4. autark says:

would love to see this broken down by geography.

could just be my white mail bias, but I have a hard time believing the numbers would be so slanted in the bubble of Seattle…

5. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

This certainly looks like additional data in favor of the (not terribly controversial) thesis that the VC-money-and-praying-for-an-IPO-and/or-buyout scene is fairly heavily a young white guys party; but I’d be curious to know what the situation looks like if you are really interested in new communications platforms rather than ‘people attempting to make internet money by building Instagram 2.0′.

Any info on the communications tools used by, say, the fanfic enthusiasts or vidders? Those groups tend to skew pretty heavily in the other direction, and they have their own tools and venues. The ability to turn stock options into sweet, sweet, cash is certainly a very valuable (and exclusive) club; but it strikes me that limiting the survey to trendy-silicon-valley-wannabe-next-big-things pretty much ensures that you’ll discover users drawn almost entirely from the startup scene and their immediate associates, and ignore potentially equally viable; but far less flashy, tools that people are actually using…

6. benher says:

Well, I’m not a RACIST or anything, but it’s just a fact that when, well, you know, THOSE PEOPLE move in, the property values you know… they just well, you know it’s sad but it’s just a fact! I mean, there are good ones and everything but and.. you know, I’m not a RAsssissssst!!!

7. maxmeyers says:

I wonder how this compares to the beginnings of facebook and Twitter?

8. bklynchris says:

I always knew I was invisible, thank you for the link to the pie charts proving as much.

9. Ito Kagehisa says:

Those 3 platforms are too old and untrendy for me.

10. Ladyfingers says: