35 Responses to “"Cannibal! The Musical," Matt and Trey's musical before "Book of Mormon" (video)”

1. Dan mcgovern says:

“Are you lookin’ at my eye?!!”

I love this movie.

2. Let’s build a snowman….

3. The movie is good, but a few years ago I had the opportunity to see the play live at the Backstage Theater in Breckenridge and it was excellent. The best adaptation? Instead of using a real horse, they used a very nice-looking, overly flirtatious girl in skimpy clothing and credited her in the program as the “whorse.” Who knew cannibalism was so ripe for comedy? Here at CU-Boulder I often eat at the Alferd Packer Grill, and yesterday the staff was wearing shirts that said things like “FRESH: AS ALFERD LIKES IT.”

4. megan griffiths says:

I watched this last night! My heart’s as warm as a baked potato!

5. desdinova says:

Fudge, Packer?

6. joeposts says:

Brilliant casting when it came to the Native Americans. Very sensitive portrayal!

7. by far the best commentary track i’ve ever seen.

8. NoahScalin says:

You might be amused to know that not only did I give that film it’s title (it arrived at Troma while I was working there titled “Alferd Packer: The Musical”, but I also designed the toothy logo, that’s used on the poster!

• Wayne Waterman says:

Excellent.  I was a very minor grip on this and one of the few things I remember vividly was the tooth.
      Well done sir

• yupgiboy says:

Internationally, it’s still “Alferd Packer: The Musical”. I have a British VHS with that title that has the missing extra song snippet.

9. Mitchell Glaser says:

It’s funny how people react to things like this. Last month there was a reading of a musical I wrote the lyrics to called Manson’s Girls. It’s a serious view of what turns a fairly normal person into a murderous cult member. The local ABC network (and the L.A. Times) did a short feature on it which played on the 11 o’clock news. The next day, on ABC’s Facebook page, there were over 400 comments, overwhelmingly negative, including death threats. None of the people had actually seen the reading, mind you. Meanwhile, Sondheim’s Assassins, which takes a much more cavalier look at presidential assassins (including Squeaky Fromme) was playing in town without so much as a peep of response.

• Grey Eyed Man of Destiny says:

People take serious things seriously, and not so serious things not so seriously. I don’t know what any of this has to do with Cannibal!

10. Rissa The Tree! says:

Shpdoinkle!

11. ChuckTV says:

I wish Troma would upload some of their Al Adamson films.

12. ahecht says:

Proto-Cartman at 18:39?

Oh, and in case people didn’t know, Juan Schwartz is a pseudonym for Trey Parker, who didn’t want to see his name appear so many times in the credits.

13. fenester says:

This film also features a cameo by Stan Brakhage as the father of one of the main characters.  Brakhage was a key player in 20th century American experimental film.  (Check out Dog Star Man!)   He was a professor at CU Boulder when Matt and Trey were going to school there.

14. limbclock says:

I’m amazed that it took BoingBoing this long to find out about Troma uploading a lot of their old movies on YouTube.

15. balexander667 says:

Sort of funny. The instant you had a post about troma having movies on YouTube I immediatly tracked down Cannibal! and posted a link on facey-space. If anyone ever has a chance, the DVD for Cannibal! has an audio commentary where the cast progressively gets more drunk through the movie and the commentary stops for a short period because they have have to make a run to the liquor store :)

16. I grew up in Denver. I went to college in Boulder from 92-97 while this was being produced. I remember seeing it promoted on campus and around town frequently. At the same time, I ate at or studied in the seating area just outside of the aforementioned Alferd Packer Grill in the UMC (i.e., student union) nearly every day.

And I’m only just now, at age 38, realizing that it’s “Alferd” and not “Alfred.”

17.  When I still had a mobile phone “snowman” was my ringtone. Well… 4 years ago.

18. Stephen Marts says:

Hold on. Wait a second.

Can someone please explain that trailer to me? I’ve been watching this movie at least once a year for the last fifteen years and I have never seen a man in a sombrero or a mustache on Matt Stone’s character.

• EeyoreX says:

The trailer was actually produced and shot before the movie, as a fun school project. Then they used it as a “pitch reel” to raise funding for the actual movie, wich had partly different casting.

19. Mister44 says:

“The sky is blue and all the leaves are green.

The sun’s as warm as a baked potato.

I think I know precisely what I mean,

When I say it’s a shpadoinkle day.”

My favorite part is “Lets build a snowman.”  A really great indie film.

20. Andy Reilly says:

I first found out about this film year ago, because a coworker and his family all loved it and used to sing the songs. Loved it. Favorite part: the “Indians” doing Tai Chi in the background.

21. yupgiboy says:

I think auto-correct mistakenly put “awful” next to “awesome” in your post. There is nothing remotely awful about this movie.

22. gt bear says:

i watched about a minute of this on hulu earlier today. i used to spend time at the alferd packer grill in the 80s.

23. My brother went to film school with Matt and Trey and has a small part in this film in the finale at the end.

A little-known(?) fact about Cannibal! courtesy of my brother: when it was released, Matt and Trey got the cast back together to protest it at some theater/film festival with signs and everything, a la “Life of Brian”. Ostensibly they were protesting the fact that someone was making light of murder and cannibalism through a tasteless movie musical, but really it was just to get publicity for the film. I always thought that was a brilliant PR move, although it didn’t get the movie any real traction until after the success of “South Park.”

Anyway, I also loved the fact that my brother is both in the movie and later protested its release!