Sam Kass, White House Assistant Chef and the Senior Policy Advisor for Healthy Food Initiatives, blogs two recipes and a great story. "Inspired by home brewers from across the country, last year President Obama bought a home brewing kit for the kitchen." I'll be trying the honey porter.

17 Responses to “Home brew at the White House”

1. snowmentality says:

So awesome. That Honey Porter does sound good, too. It might get me to finally try brewing at home.

2. Ace says:

This in no way makes up for Obama choosing to drink Bud Light at the “Beer Summit”, http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111373030

• I can not tell you how disappointed I was by the Bud Light.

• snowmentality says:

I know. I think that was a political decision, though, since the media was reading way too far into the meaning of the beer choices. He had to pick something that was as average-American as possible. If he’d picked an import or a craft brew, he would’ve been slammed all over the place for being an elitist.

I think the political meaning of drinking the White House’s own brew is just as politically expedient, though — connotations of self-reliance and independence and American ingenuity and whatnot. And the beer has to be better. So, win-win.

3. HDN says:

Clearly this President is anti-big (brewing) business.  And for this, we thank him.

4. chrisspurgeon says:

I’m a home brewer too, AND an Obama fan, but I gotta say I’m sorry to hear this. This is JUST the type of thing that’s going to be yet another distracting trumped up controversy.

• marilove says:

I am not seeing any controversy.  Are you?  I mean, aside from your magical land of make-believe, of course.

• chrisspurgeon says:

What you refer to as “magical land of Make-believe” I refer to as “the bullshit that organizations like Fox give airtime to so they don’t have to talk about actual issues.”

• CH says:

But it’s pretty much common knowledge, it’s not like it has only now been revealed. I don’t remember Fox having any foaming at their mouth about this thing yet.

Obama did wisely buy the beer making kit with his own money, I’m pretty sure they would otherwise have picked it as one of their “look how he is spending tax money” points. But really, what could they complain about? That he drinks beer? I’m pretty sure the same could be said about a lot of their viewers.

5. Dean Putney says:

Oh god. There are four puns in the title and opening line alone. Sam, you’re killing me.

6. Jonathan says:

Aw, that is so cute. And I just love all those great puns. In closing, Obama is awesome.

7. awjt says:

These recipes are procedurally wrong. You can’t just stick an airlock on it. You have to let it blow off first, then rack it to a secondary…and THEN you can use your airlock.