The cast of Mad Men "sing" Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up"

15 Responses to “The cast of Mad Men "sing" Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up"”

1. Tavie says:

This is what the internet is for.

2. Rob Duncan says:

I’m sure the people who do these videos have the scripts and sit and ctrl f for the word they’re looking for, rather than watching hours and hours of footage. Doesn’t make it any less cool, just using common sense.

3. oscar says:

I’m sure this person used the subtitles to find the words as opposed to sitting through every episode. That said, this is awesome.

4. NelC says:

I’m surprised by the number of instances of the word “dessert” they found. Makes me wonder if that’s what started this off.

5. GersonOnTheT says:

Very impressive–and it’s hard work no matter how you do this! However, I’ll bet they used a phonetic search tool like Boris Soundbite. You load however many hours of footage you have into a project file and Soundbite (and similar tools) will index it all. Not by words, but by sounds. Very, very cool software. I would guess (without having any inside information) that The Daily Show and Colbert Report staff must use phonetic searching to make those amazing cuts of many, many TV news personalities and politicians repeating the same talking points over and over.

6. mikedt says:

This is either way easier to do than I think it is, or this person has some serious spare time on his hands.

7. This show is edited with Avid Media Composer. There’s a feature called Phrasefind. It’s not as easy as “control F” but almost. http://www.avid.com/US/products/PhraseFind

8. Tom Rombouts says:

Hi – Just to give credit where credit is due, I wonder if they were inspired by the old Dr. Demento favorite “Spliceway to Heaven”  I think this is it online:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abGlV58-dyM

9. Wonder if William Burroughs is sitting smiling somewhere watching this? Dude had mad prophecy skills.

10. NelC says: