8 Responses to “Man who excels at carnival games donates more than a quarter million stuffed animals to kids”

1. Wreckrob8 says:

Replace each toy with one, a hundred, a thousand lego bricks. Have you got enough, yet?

2. Matthew Sedlar says:

“These are my awards, Mother. From Army. The seal is for marksman…”

3. The last carnival I went to, the games seemed to have completely changed their approach.  Every prize I saw had a wholesale cost of maybe 50% of the cost to play the game.  Most of the games had gone to the “everybody’s a winner” model, and the size of the prize was determined not by skill or luck, but by how much money you spent to play.  Sad, really, both because there’s really no point in playing and because there were so many people still getting suckered in…

4. Sparg says:

Well, if each toy weighs a few grams…

5. cstatman says:

this was  a nice story, thank you for sharing it.

6. The Hamster King says:

A carnival huckster cheated my grandfather out of an entire paycheck during the Great Depression.  My grand-dad had played minor league ball and couldn’t believe that he couldn’t knock over the rigged milk bottles to win a stuffed toy for his little girl.  I’m thrilled that someone is getting payback … .

7. cjporkchop says:

It’s been a while, but I seem to recall that midway stuffed toys are the cheapest of the cheap, badly put together, probably by underpaid workers in horrible conditions, and often stuffed with styro pellets.

I’m glad the guy has fun, and I’m sure he means well. But wouldn’t it be better to spend that money on better-quality, though less-numerous, toys? Perhaps even ones made under humane working conditions.

Quality over quantity, imo. Ymmv.