* The Haunted Clock: outstanding analysis of all the clever that went into the chiming-13 grandfather clock in Disney's Haunted Mansions. Bonus trivia: a Simpsons animator is a former HM butler, and sneaks Mansion trivia into many episodes.
* Slowed down birdsong sounds like classical music. Seriously. It's like Animal Kingdom Inception. (via)
* European Commission Looks To Backdoor In ACTA By Pushing For Same Results Through 'Voluntarism'. Because heavily lobbied, totally compromised Eurocrats know more than politicians, the public, scholars, industry and tech experts about how to run the Internet.
* Venom. DeviantArt's Captainsarasparrow shows just how totally awesome facepaint can be. (Neatorama)
* VICTORIAN PROFESSIONAL MOURNERS, 1800s. Imagine how awesome being a goth would be if it was still possible to command a handsome salary simply by standing around, looking sad and wearing black. Hot Topic should pitch the world's funeral directors on a revival of this noble trade.
* The Incoherence of Antonin Scalia. Judge Richard Posner eviscerates Judge Antonin Scalia's new book. It's a judgefight! Great read. I just wish Posner's own rulings were a little more coherent.
* Byrne's BAM Bike Racks. David Byrne designed the new bike racks for TK
* 21 World War I Recruitment Posters From Around the Globe. (via)
* Minnie Mouse, Daisy Duck Whittled Down for Barneys's Holiday Campaign. Body dismorphia for the animated set. (via)
* "We asked for nothing. They offered us less" - Ontario's teachers. The Ontario government manufactures a labour crisis to help it win key by-elections, punishes hardworking teachers for political advantage.
* Polycistic Kidney Disease Cake. De-gross-a-licious!
* 2012 Hugo Award Winners. Among Others wins best novel -- and what a book it is, too!
* How copyright enforcement robots killed the Hugo Awards [UPDATED]. The Ustream live-cast of the Hugo Awards died suddenly when a cleared, authorized Doctor Who clip (from an episode for which Neil Gaiman won the Hugo) triggered Ustream's third-party piracy-detection app. Ustream apparently has no way of turning this off once it's triggered.
* Jeremy Hunt, Health Secretary, thinks homeopathy works. The UK LibCon government continues to put flaming, irredeemable shitheads into positions of importance. I thought that sticking George Osborne in the Chancellor's office was as bad as it could possibly get, and yet... As the Telegraph's Tom Chivers says, "This is not unlike putting someone who thinks the Second World War began in 1986 in charge of the Department of Education."
Neglected public payphones in New York City are being turned into “GuyFi” stations: a place where one can rub one out for the sake of “stress relief.” Annalee Newitz reports on the wank booths from a company named “Hot Octopus”… The company reported that at least 100 men used the booth on its opening day […]
You’d be forgiven for thinking the videocassette format long-dead, but it turns out that Betamax is still around. Sony is finally going to withdraw tapes from sale, bringing a 40-year story to an end. The last recorders were sold in 2002. ベータビデオカセットおよびマイクロMVカセットテープ出荷終了のお知らせ [Sony; via The Verge]
A leaked Comcast memo discloses that the company’s consumer data caps have nothing to do with network congestion, contrary to its public claims. The internet service provider has often complained (such as when lobbying against net neutrality) that it must impose limits on service to prevent network congestion. The argument suggests that these measures are […]
Real engineers build things. Super cool engineers build things with their hands and fingers, like our engineering forefathers did. No idea where to even begin to do that? This step by step Arduino course is now 92% off and is going to get you up and running, from zero to hero, in no time. So […]
How do Google and YouTube really work? It turns out, Python kind of runs things around those parts. And with this bootcamp, you’ll get whipped into shape and ready to start programming yourself. Whether you’re a Python pro and just want to sharpen your skills, or a total tech newbie with little or no coding […]
Take a deep breath. Now exhale. Wouldn’t that whole breathing thing be a lot better with an amazing vape in your hands? How about a vape that’s specifically engineered and designed for dry leaf and crazy easy to both use and clean? You can save 28% right now when you nab this new FEZ Vaporizer […]