* The Haunted Clock: outstanding analysis of all the clever that went into the chiming-13 grandfather clock in Disney's Haunted Mansions. Bonus trivia: a Simpsons animator is a former HM butler, and sneaks Mansion trivia into many episodes.
* Slowed down birdsong sounds like classical music. Seriously. It's like Animal Kingdom Inception. (via)
* European Commission Looks To Backdoor In ACTA By Pushing For Same Results Through 'Voluntarism'. Because heavily lobbied, totally compromised Eurocrats know more than politicians, the public, scholars, industry and tech experts about how to run the Internet.
* Venom. DeviantArt's Captainsarasparrow shows just how totally awesome facepaint can be. (Neatorama)
* VICTORIAN PROFESSIONAL MOURNERS, 1800s. Imagine how awesome being a goth would be if it was still possible to command a handsome salary simply by standing around, looking sad and wearing black. Hot Topic should pitch the world's funeral directors on a revival of this noble trade.
* The Incoherence of Antonin Scalia. Judge Richard Posner eviscerates Judge Antonin Scalia's new book. It's a judgefight! Great read. I just wish Posner's own rulings were a little more coherent.
* Byrne's BAM Bike Racks. David Byrne designed the new bike racks for TK
* 21 World War I Recruitment Posters From Around the Globe. (via)
* Minnie Mouse, Daisy Duck Whittled Down for Barneys's Holiday Campaign. Body dismorphia for the animated set. (via)
* "We asked for nothing. They offered us less" - Ontario's teachers. The Ontario government manufactures a labour crisis to help it win key by-elections, punishes hardworking teachers for political advantage.
* Polycistic Kidney Disease Cake. De-gross-a-licious!
* 2012 Hugo Award Winners. Among Others wins best novel -- and what a book it is, too!
* How copyright enforcement robots killed the Hugo Awards [UPDATED]. The Ustream live-cast of the Hugo Awards died suddenly when a cleared, authorized Doctor Who clip (from an episode for which Neil Gaiman won the Hugo) triggered Ustream's third-party piracy-detection app. Ustream apparently has no way of turning this off once it's triggered.
* Jeremy Hunt, Health Secretary, thinks homeopathy works. The UK LibCon government continues to put flaming, irredeemable shitheads into positions of importance. I thought that sticking George Osborne in the Chancellor's office was as bad as it could possibly get, and yet... As the Telegraph's Tom Chivers says, "This is not unlike putting someone who thinks the Second World War began in 1986 in charge of the Department of Education."
Where are our petabyte drives? Brian Hayes takes us through the reasons storage is “stuck” in the low terabytes. The tl;dr is that we got such exceptional capacity growth in the late 90s and early 00s we don’t need much more right now, so the focus since then has been on SSDs, networking, interfaces, etc, […]
Amélie Lamont, a former staffer at website-hosting startup Squarespace, writes that she often found herself disregarded and disrespected by her colleagues. One comment in particular, though, set her reeling — and came to exemplify her experiences there.
In this episode of the Flash Forward podcast we travel to a future where humans have decided to eradicate the most dangerous animal on the planet: mosquitos. How would we do it? Is it even possible? And what are the consequences? Flash Forward: RSS | iTunes | Twitter | Facebook | Web | Patreon We […]
Experienced shutterbugs with DSLR cameras have boatloads of lens options for capturing the moment. Unfortunately, smartphone photographers often get stuck with their one crummy lens, which means limited zoom and focus for their final image.Step up your smartphone’s photographic power with the Acesori 5-Piece Smartphone Camera Lens Kit, now just $9.99 in the Boing Boing Store.Magnetic rings easily […]
Some truths are universal. For one, your phone will always run out of power when you most need it. For another, the charging cords that come packaged with your Apple device will fray, split, and rip faster than Usain Bolt in a game of tag.Instead, pick up a charging cord that anyone would have a tough […]
Some people say magic tricks are nerdy and best left to your 12-year-old asthmatic cousin. But others see value in perfecting the slight of hand and showmanship associated with a perfectly executed routine. We’re firmly in the latter camp. And now, we’re giving you the ability to put a few parlor tricks up your sleeve with the Penguin […]