* The Haunted Clock: outstanding analysis of all the clever that went into the chiming-13 grandfather clock in Disney's Haunted Mansions. Bonus trivia: a Simpsons animator is a former HM butler, and sneaks Mansion trivia into many episodes.
* Slowed down birdsong sounds like classical music. Seriously. It's like Animal Kingdom Inception. (via)
* European Commission Looks To Backdoor In ACTA By Pushing For Same Results Through 'Voluntarism'. Because heavily lobbied, totally compromised Eurocrats know more than politicians, the public, scholars, industry and tech experts about how to run the Internet.
* Venom. DeviantArt's Captainsarasparrow shows just how totally awesome facepaint can be. (Neatorama)
* VICTORIAN PROFESSIONAL MOURNERS, 1800s. Imagine how awesome being a goth would be if it was still possible to command a handsome salary simply by standing around, looking sad and wearing black. Hot Topic should pitch the world's funeral directors on a revival of this noble trade.
* The Incoherence of Antonin Scalia. Judge Richard Posner eviscerates Judge Antonin Scalia's new book. It's a judgefight! Great read. I just wish Posner's own rulings were a little more coherent.
* Byrne's BAM Bike Racks. David Byrne designed the new bike racks for TK
* 21 World War I Recruitment Posters From Around the Globe. (via)
* Minnie Mouse, Daisy Duck Whittled Down for Barneys's Holiday Campaign. Body dismorphia for the animated set. (via)
* "We asked for nothing. They offered us less" - Ontario's teachers. The Ontario government manufactures a labour crisis to help it win key by-elections, punishes hardworking teachers for political advantage.
* Polycistic Kidney Disease Cake. De-gross-a-licious!
* 2012 Hugo Award Winners. Among Others wins best novel -- and what a book it is, too!
* How copyright enforcement robots killed the Hugo Awards [UPDATED]. The Ustream live-cast of the Hugo Awards died suddenly when a cleared, authorized Doctor Who clip (from an episode for which Neil Gaiman won the Hugo) triggered Ustream's third-party piracy-detection app. Ustream apparently has no way of turning this off once it's triggered.
* Jeremy Hunt, Health Secretary, thinks homeopathy works. The UK LibCon government continues to put flaming, irredeemable shitheads into positions of importance. I thought that sticking George Osborne in the Chancellor's office was as bad as it could possibly get, and yet... As the Telegraph's Tom Chivers says, "This is not unlike putting someone who thinks the Second World War began in 1986 in charge of the Department of Education."
Today a future without schools. Instead of gathering students into a room and teaching them, everybody learns on their own time, on tablets and guided by artificial intelligence. Flash Forward: RSS | iTunes | Twitter | Facebook | Web | Patreon | RedditIn this episode we talk to a computer scientist who developed an artificially […]
Where are our petabyte drives? Brian Hayes takes us through the reasons storage is “stuck” in the low terabytes. The tl;dr is that we got such exceptional capacity growth in the late 90s and early 00s we don’t need much more right now, so the focus since then has been on SSDs, networking, interfaces, etc, […]
Amélie Lamont, a former staffer at website-hosting startup Squarespace, writes that she often found herself disregarded and disrespected by her colleagues. One comment in particular, though, set her reeling — and came to exemplify her experiences there.
Looks like all of your potential employers are hiring candidates with programming skills (which you don’t have). With all of the languages out there today, it’s tough to know where to start.With the Complete Front-End to Back-End Coding Bundle, you can beef your resume up in all the right places, no confusion necessary. This package of […]
Those of us who love music wish we could listen to it 24/7. But it’s impossible when we’re trying to converse with our friends, or when are swimming in the local pool.That is, until now. The KOAR Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headset, now 48% off, has changed the audio game.Made with lightweight titanium memory metal, this headset boasts patented bone conduction technology to transport sound […]
It’s one thing to enjoy dinner at home and a nice glass of Cabernet Sauvignon with your best friend, Netflix, but it’s another thing entirely to make that meal from scratch and get that wine delivered right to your doorstep.But what if we told you there’s a way to make this possible? To keep your social life, […]