White Sands Missile Range Museum and National Park

12 Responses to “White Sands Missile Range Museum and National Park”

1. nixiebunny says:

The rocket garden rocks! If you like missiles, that is.

2. . says:

When I was stationed at Canon AFB many moons ago, I got to meet Col. Staap of rocket sled fame. Really nice guy, and very interesting.
    Also went to a really cool model railroad museum in Alamogordo that was run by an old Paperclip German guy. Also very nice, but didn’t want to talk about the past.

3. ImmutableMichael says:

For a moment I thought those were legs sticking out from under the Viking Decelerator.

4. Æ says:

My family and I visited the museum nearly 20 years ago. I seem to remember an animatronic solider that greeted guests at the door.

5. Over the River says:

I lived with my family in Las Cruces in the late 1950s as my dad worked at White Sands. We have lots of photographs of my sister and I playing in the sand.

6. Ito Kagehisa says:

Wait, what?   “Redstone Cruise Missile?”    Are you sure you’re not talking about the Redstone ballistic missile?  Or maybe the GE Hermes?  At least one of the Hermes series had a ramjet in the second stage, so it could be considered an early cruise missile.

7. B E Pratt says:

Re: that last pic. I must have that as a hat!!!

8. Ivor Williams says:

I’ve just come back from a month tour of the Southwest (from the UK) and I have to say that White Sands stands as one of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen in the US. The Homeland Security check point didn’t put me off, but man, to be so close to some heavy military industrial complex history, and have a hike around the white sands…mind blowing!

On another note, can anyone answer my quandry…there doesn’t seem to be a word (telling perhaps) for one who is in love with the USA, e.g. Francophile etc etc. Any thoughts?

I say this because, well, see above…

• Ito Kagehisa says:

As you are presumably an Englishman, you have traditional rights to coin such a word, which will then be cheerfully ignored, misused, misspelt, and/or mispronounced by Americans.

If you like the culture of the North East United States preferentially, “yankophile” might be appropriate, but personally I’d use “usaphile” in tribute to Wright, Butler, Law, and Zamenhof. Pronounced “oo-sah-file” to match Usonia, Usonian, or usono.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Two words – Prime Minister.