3D printed guitar

9 Responses to “3D printed guitar”

1. Beautiful guitar. I’d love to build one of those.

2. skeptacally says:

Pedantry alert:

They didn’t so much print a guitar as print the body of a guitar.  The bridge, neck, pick-ups — really, the parts that make an electric guitar a guitar — seem purchased and definitely not printed.

• for_SCIENCE says:

I would like the trend of ’3d Printed _____!’ headlines lessened, especially it usually turns out to be ‘one minor part was 3D printed’. Can I post my ’3d printed car’ since I printed new radio knobs?

•  I can understand Cory’s enthusiasm for this technology, but I wonder whether this guitar body was printed on the type of machine that a home user has access to or is it more industrial?

• Thorzdad says:

This. It wouldn’t have diminished the accomplishment if the headline and story had simply said “3-D printer guitar *body*. I mean, it’s cool that this can be done, and there’s no need for the way these 3-D-printed-X stories all seem to imply a lot more than what is actually achieved.

3. robcat2075 says:

Yes, he seems to have 3D printed the least significant part of an electric guitar, the part that makes the least contribution to the sound, the body.

3D print an acoustic guitar that sounds good and I’ll be quite enthused.

4. Jonathan Donald says:

Looks like purple-anodized aluminum, actually

5. dave marks says:

I played the guitar in said video :-) While it’s true that only the body is 3D printed, it’s still a very significant step into creating new and revolutionary designs for instruments. With electric guitars, it depends what type of guitar sounds you’re going for (as to whether the body is so important)
    The guitar body certainly is a factor – hence different body shapes / sizes / wood densities / chambering etc will create different tones between say a Tele, Strat and Les Paul.
    I think what’s cool about these is the chance to create guitars that take care of the functional part (neck / strings / pickups) and give you free reign to create something really individualistic in how the guitar looks.
    It’s also worth bearing in mind, the guitar I used in this video was an early production – the newer ones have much sexier hardware and pickups etc. I should be getting my hands on one in October at the 3D Printshow, so I’ll try and do a bit of recording and post that :-)