14 Responses to “Immortal Lycanthropes: Required reading for budding happy mutants and their grownups”

1. show me says:

Sounds a lot like “Highlander” to me. Are there swords involved?

2. Peter Eller says:

“YA novel unlike any other” ? an orphan boy with special powers who gets even with bullies?
    a YA novel like EVERY other!

• pKp says:

This review has been written, for free, by a guy who writes YA, reviews it periodically and has a kid daughter. I’d be inclined to believe Cory when he says that this is unlike anything he’s read, even if the basic structure (shared more or less with all YA, fantasy and other coming-of-age novels since Goethe) is the same.

• rrn1 says:

As a college professor who teaches children literature and who has actually read the book, I would agree it is unlike any other book. The vocabulary alone lets it stand out. This is no “watered-down” book.

3. Stefan Jones says:

Tangential:

Pinkwater himself wrote several lighthearted books about tween werewolves. Benign shapeshifter werewolves, not cursed bloodthirsty brutes.

4. Simon Champion says:

Not trolling, just curious – what makes a YA novel? Why is it labelled for young adults when it gets reviewed by not young adults (sorry Cory)? Does it lack anything that more mature people expect in a novel? As a reader in his mid 40s I’m actually put off by the label YA, is this a mistake?

• James Stephenson says:

Being put off by the YA title is a mistake IMHO. YA does not necessarily mean that the story is watered down and/or censored for a younger audience. Like any other literary subdivision, YA includes great books and awful books. But believe me when I say that there really are some great YA books that can be enjoyed by adults as well. Essentially, if the plot of a novel features a coming of age story then the publisher is going to classify it as YA because YA outsells pretty much every other type of book.

• Grebmar says:

I often wonder the same thing, to the extent that I think YA might actually be a marketing code that targets adults who want to read YA, rather than books targeted at ‘young adults’ themselves. I know when I was a young adult I found most books directed at YA’s (me) to be patronizing and ‘dumbed down,’ even if they weren’t, and skipped ahead to ‘adult’ books.

5. Theranthrope says:

So…
    I’m assuming the main character of this story has the ability to shapechange into animals… which may include, but does not exclusively mean turning into a wolf, and only a wolf.
    Since “lycanthrope”, derived from Latin “Lycos” (wolf) and “-thrope” (the suffix for ‘man’ or ‘human’, root-word for things like: “Anthroplogy”), which is used exclusively, to refer to one who can change back-and-forth from wolf to human.
    That being the case, too bad there isn’t a generic term that refers to one who changes between beasts, in-general, to human and back again…

Oh wait! Maybe, there is ONE…

6. Halloween_Jack says:

Let me guess: he can turn into… a human.