Anthrax's Dan Spitz is now a master watchmaker

20 Responses to “Anthrax's Dan Spitz is now a master watchmaker”

1. sdmikev says:

That was a fantastic interview, thank you for posting.
    Not an Anthrax fan, but I loved reading about Dan the watchmaker.  As a collector myself (no Pateks or Vacherons, though) this was fun.
    For the other watch geeks reading, got my c1966 DateJust on today.

2. Donald Petersen says:

Tickticktickin’ in my head!

3. Andy Murdock says:

Who would want to be associated in anyway with Dave Mustaine?

4. CliffordS says:

No “Persistence of Time” jokes?  I am disappointed.

5. V says:

A buddy of mine went from diesel mechanic to watch repairman. Different kind of metal, I suppose. Heh.

He has an affinity for Kobolds.

6. sockdoll says:

Cory “Steampunk” Doctorow wrote:

My grandfather was a watchmaker, and I grew up playing with junk movements and parts.

This explains so much…

7. taintofevil says:

Anyone interested in this in Seattle should note that North Seattle Community College has a watchmaking program.  I am tempted.

8. John Maple says:

Thank you for this article. I needed that laugh and interesting story.

9. Eleri Hamilton says:

Is muy cool. Although, as a parent with 2 kids who fall on the autism spectrum themselves, my first thought at  the combo of ‘spend time with twin autistic boys’ *and* ‘pursue technical dreams’ was “Dang, must be nice to be a millionaire.”

10. timquinn says:

I, too, have hand built my own workbench. It is really nice and, if you don’t mind picking everything up off the ground when it tips over, serviceable in a pinch. Don’t lean there, man.

11. vance_tam says:

There is a special place for people who love to create and restore fine machinery to proper order. Mr. Spitz would probably be at home in a steampunk universe. I am always happy when a craftsman is able to demonstrate his genius.

12. Justin Elias Morales says:

cool

13. dustbuster7000 says:

Very cool, guys like this make me kinda jealous, able to turn their hand to whatever takes their fancy with equal skill. Pedant note: “hand-turns” not “hand-lathes”. A lathe is the tool, the operation is turning.

14. showcasejase says:

Now it makes sense that Flavour Flav collaborated with Anthrax a while back. That guy must have a few broken clocks.

15. A C says:

Awesome article- I’m a huge metalhead, and I am a watchmaking student currently- it is so cool to know that one of my favorite band’s members is a master watchmaker.

Just to know that someone somewhere in Switzerland or anywhere is so skilled they can work on a tourbillon watch with a rattrapante chronograph and so many other complications while blasting SLAYER of all things- it’s totally unheard of in the small world of watchmaking, or so I thought- absolutely incredible, and I will definitely be joining that crowd someday. The image that sentence put in my head is like a dream come true.

Thank you for this incredible find Cory!

16. Iain Bryden says:

The article reminded me of Jeff “Skunk” Baxter, guitarist with Steely Dan and Doobie Brothers who later worked as a consultant for the Defense Department designing missile guidance systems. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Baxter