If you manage your domains through GoDaddy or are hosting a website with them, it's probably down right now and has been for about an hour. Take advantage of this time to find out which ones of your friends use GoDaddy in order to ridicule them. You can start with ridiculing me. GoDaddy's management tools are down too, so you can't really do anything yet if you're affected, but there's more information about what you could do to move away from GoDaddy in this thread on Hacker News.

23 Responses to “GoDaddy's DNS servers experiencing extended outage”

1. It’s almost embarrassing to admit it- but all of my company’s sites are down thanks to them. I don’t like their marketing, but they are cheap. I guess you get what you pay for…

2. Brainspore says:

You may commence ridiculing me. However, I wouldn’t recommend doing so by email if you want me to receive said ridicule in a timely manner.

3. Jay Converse says:

Our email has been out for 2 hours because we use their DNS.  Dammit, I’ve got a dozen email threads going with clients today.  At least I can still email out and let them know I can’t receive anything.  That is, assuming their domains aren’t on GoDaddy, too.

On the hacker’s twitter feed, his buddies have been high-fiving him.

Christ, what assholes.

4. Cowicide says:

Hmmm… maybe so many people using just one webhost isn’t such a good idea for society after all?

• xzzy says:

Or it’s great for society, depending on how you regard the content that lives on the internet.

• corydodt says:

From a technical point of view, you really are not supposed to use your registrar for DNS hosting. If you ever do want to switch, that almost guarantees you’re going to have downtime.

Today’s events are just a neon arrow pointing at the value of that policy.

5. Matthew says:

Do we know they were victim to a DDoS?  Just because some “Anonymous” twitter says it, doesn’t mean it’s true.

6. Jim Saul says:

One site I manage is through them and it’s still up, and FTP has been fine all day as I updated some elements, so I never noticed an issue.

However, a few minutes ago the owners tell me they haven’t been able to get email all day.

Personal stuff I switched to Laughing Squid, going with the suggestion someone made here a while back.

7. edkedz says:

“GoDaddy’s management tools are down too”

So, no representatives of the company have made themselves available to make any statements about- oops, I guess I misunderstood what you meant by “management tools.” Sorry.

8. politeruin says:

Anyone use plus.net? Firefox refuses to connect to the site tonight and opening it in IE allows you to view the certificate which is issued by…yup, Go Daddy. So IE handles that situation better since there’d be no way of knowing who issues the certificate in firefox unless i’m missing something.

9. brerrabbit23 says:

My business was directly affected by this today, to my immediate and personal embarassment.

And I still think it’s hilarious and well deserved. We’re switching DNS handlers within the week. (finally!)

10. I have an enterprise class VPS at Servint and I couldnt be happier.  Godaddy is the slums of the internet hosting world.

11. artbyjcm says:

Well, that’s actually a very valid thing to do and here’s why using an example: I purchased a brushed metal trash can at wal*mart assuming it would be cheaper. I got it home, noticed it had a scratch. That’s ok. Well, a month later the cheap plastic lid cracked. There were scratches and dents all over the can. I then went to target, found a nicer looking brushed metal trash can. $5 less, actually. And it’s far outlasted the purchase at wal*mart. Wal*mart is known for selling crappy, cheaply produced products and I should have known better. Godaddy is known for making some trivial things difficult for its customers, and while being the cheapest host, you should research what you are buying into before you buy it. I never would have expected godaddy to be secure. Their practice is making money, they care very little about the customer. And it shows. You need proof? Look at what’s happening right now. I bet there was a fatal security flaw. I think it’s entirely reasonable to reiducle someone for using a less than trustworhty, rather corrupt service. Today I found out Wunderlist, one of my most used websites is down now. I’m dissapointed in them for choosing what I consider a crappy company like godaddy to rely on.