51 Responses to “James Cameron wants to help the Mythbusters prove that Jack and Rose could not have both occupied that door-raft”

1. Brainspore says:

Forget about looking for a way for physics to keep Jack alive, we should be trying to figure out how to ensure that Rose drowns.

2. Kris N says:

It flipped when Jack and Rose tried to get on from the same side. Any one who’s ever boarded a pool float or raft from the water with another person knows you’re supposed to board from opposite sides.

3. Bodhipaksa says:

“We’re gonna need a bigger door.”

4. Gyrofrog says:

I’ve got this cold-related headache and, to top it all off, now I’ve got Gloria Stuart repeatedly intoning “Titanic was new!” in my head.  What helps, a little, is to imagine Dicky Moe breaching, and in one gulp swallowing Jack and both Roses.  I do not have the brainpower at the moment to mentally render this in 3D, though.

5. RightReverendRex says:

I would be interested in proving the “sex warmth” theory as well.

6. RightReverendRex says:

Mostly non-related, after seeing this in the theaters with my daughters, I had asked them afterward what they thought a good McDonalds® or Burger King™ tie-in toy might be and my youngest who was 6 at the time suggested a “Jack”  toy that could float on top of the cup of soda with the ice.

I love my weird kids.

7. JohnQPublic says:

And because there was no other source of buoyant flotsam for Jack to find nearby after the ship loaded with an unimaginable amount of crap – much of which had floating potential – broke in half and went down right there?

I was completely (though reluctantly) *WITH* the movie until ancient Rose tossed the blue diamond overboard.  Then, I just had this face until the credits rolled:

8. thecleaninglady says:

Next they can probably disprove that the R2d2 sounds on the X-wing could not have been heard in outer space?

Also, I am still waiting for the debunking of Baron Münchhausen’s trip to the moon which I clearly saw in Terry Gilliam’s movie.

Oh, well.

9. John Neumann says:

My beer-imbibed pals and I debated this at length one time. We came to this conclusion: Dump the girl off, make you fortune rifling through the pockets of the floating dead and find another female afterwards.

How to stay afloat with your ever-bulging pockets of loot? Make a raft of the dead. It grows as your fortune improves.

10. JohnQPublic says:

hey looking at that image, couldn’t Rose give her lifevest to Jack now that she’s on a raft?  Might buy the fellow some time to look for another raft.

11. Halloween_Jack says:

My idea was simply for them to take turns in the water.

12. Ken Breadner says:

That whole scene bothered me. Jack, go find your own piece of flotsam. You’ll be apart from your precious Rose for a few hours…and then you’ll have the rest of your life.

13. I wonder if we ask… oh… I don’t know… maybe some surfers about how fantastically difficult it is getting up onto a skinny board in rocky seas.

• Brainspore says:

However challenging it is for a surfer I bet it’s probably a lot harder when you’re shaking uncontrollably from hypothermia. Let’s face it, if it were easy to find a way to survive in that icy water then a lot more people would have done it.

14. Yeah, and according to early-20th century etiquette, a young girl cannot accept large gemstones from a gentleman to whom she is not married, nor wear them until she is at least 25. Yup, not even if you’re a Vanderbilt, a Morgan, or a Rockefeller. It smacks of prostitution. (They were kind of touchy about that, since giving jewels for sex was a rather common pastime, among gentlemen of that period.)

Now, if Cameron were to have made a movie about Alvah and Consuelo Vanderbilt, and how she was sold (for some millions) to get a Duke in the family, THAT would have been a movie….but no, it’s not good Hollywood, since without Alvah we probably wouldn’t have women’s sufferage….

15. timquinn says:

By the anthropic principle of film theory if Jack had not died on that night the story wouldn’t have had enough pathos to merit being produced, therefore the film would not exist for us to see and critique. We only see the film because Jack dies, therefore he had to die.

16. Cefeida says:

I always thought it was just too damn cold for him to manage to get up there. Cramps, frozen limbs, impaired coordination and all that.

17. DryDry says:

To add more nitpicky ridiculousness to a ridiculous debate, if there was some other very buoyant debris stuck up under the door, like, say, a sealed barrel or two, the door certainly could have supported both of them.

18. ocatagon says:

If he had just tried a little harder in the movie, nobody would be complaining.

19. rully roslan says:

but in my opinion is the greatest movie ….

20. drabkikker says:

IT’S NOT A DOOR.

21. SallyPage says:

Of course, if Rose had stayed in the lifeboat she got on rather than taking that flying leap back onto the sinking ship, then Jack could have had the headboard that could also be used as a flotation device.  So that means that Rose killed Jack AND the two kids from steerage who could have taken the seat on the lifeboat that she took and then bailed from.

22. James Penrose says:

It’s even sillier as there were dozens of dead people floating around wearing *life jackets* !

Grab a few off the corpses who usually won’t mind if asked nicely, put them on, then see if you can slide a couple under the door to boost buoyancy and see what works.