12 Responses to “Great Graphic Novels: The Collected Sam and Max: Surfin' the Highway, by Steve Purcell”

1. Philboyd Studge says:

Cheapskates may seek out the Special Color Collection edition put out by Epic Comics, which collected the first two issues, along with the guest appearances. There, one can bask in the glory of the road-trip gameboard that is properly a 2-page spread, and misapplied color inking, such as a pink pumpkin.  While you are rooting through the bins at the local comic shop, look for the Gumby’s Winter Fun Special that Purcel did for Comico. It has similar hilarity, as the two clay fellows brave the flames of Heck to rescue Santa (or some dirty old longshoreman), and get melted into a bucket of goo by Satan for their trouble.

2. Mister44 says:

YES – Sam and Max Hit the Road was an awesome game. I never got into the comics, but I should. I had no idea they had a tv show. Then again I didn’t have a TV in 1997.

3. CH says:

Yay for Sam & Max!!! It’s one of my favorite comics!!! And game!!!

I was just the other day pondering aloud that our daughter might be old enough now to appreciate Sam & Max… but my husband pointed out that her English probably isn’t quite there yet to be able to read it. Crap! Yet another brilliant plan of mine foiled by a language barrier.

4. CSMcDonald says:

And I just discovered another book that somehow didn’t make it in the move from GA to FL.

5. I just got the whole Sam & Max collection on Steam minutes ago for $15. It’s on sale, but I can’t find a link anywhere.

• mjfgates says:

The “Sam & Max” games available on Steam are something that isn’t mentioned in the original post; the game that it DOES mention is… different. 1990s-era technology using the LucasArts SCUMM engine. You get to root around blindly in the world’s biggest ball of string!

It’s downloadable, here and there. Well worth finding.

• CH says:

And while you are at it, see if you can also find another SCUMM game “Day of the Tentacle”. Both are definitely worth playing!!!

6. euansmith says:

I really enjoyed the various Sam & Max one-shots and series over the years. As a result I was a bit disappointed to learn that Steve Purcell was involved in the serviceable “Brave” film from Disney Pixar.  Hopefully he will be given his head on his next project for them and we’ll get some really great comic mischief and nonsense.

7. SeanJJordan says:

This happens to be one of my all-time favorite comedic graphic novels, and it’s a real treat for those who used to read The Adventurer, the free newsletter LucasArts used to include in its adventure games, where Sam and Max attracted fans for years before their debut adventure game.

Anyone who digs The Tick, Madman or the Flaming Carrot will feel at home here. The Saturday morning Sam and Max cartoon adapted some of these stories, but they’re funnier in print. And I don’t think the manatee song ever made it to air.

Telltale reprinted this one with some extra content, but the GN is worth just about any asking price.

• penguinchris says:

I was going to mention the magazine/newsletter included with LucasArts games too – it wasn’t just with the adventure games, all the Star Wars and other LucasArts games came with them too and since I played all the LucasArts Star Wars games back then (I was a kid… it was a glorious time to be a typical kid who loved Star Wars) there is a significant collection of the newsletters at my parents’ house.

I loved the one-page Sam & Max comics in each issue, and of course I loved the game too (and all the other adventure games they did). I played through a bit of it recently to show my girlfriend and it’s still as great as ever – worth seeking out. I’m quite glad now that LucasArts was my big video game thing when I was a kid, not Nintendo like everyone else my age.

I’m definitely going to seek out this book – have never read any of these beyond what was in the LucasArts newsletters.