Study finds BPA associated with obesity in kids

14 Responses to “Study finds BPA associated with obesity in kids”

1. Zachary Yadamec says:

Something seems backward logically here.  Is the the BPA causing obesity(I know it does not directly say it), or is it that the kids drinking alot of soda are fat and there is BPA in the soda bottles?

• ryuthrowsstuff says:

If I had to guess I’d say its a simple correlation rather than causation. Highly processed foods are already pretty firmly linked with obesity and BPA is used widely in their packaging. So discounting a mechanism for BPA to cause weight gain your soda example is probably closer to the mark.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

BPA is basically an estrogen.  It affects fat depositing by physically “feminizing” you.

2. thatbob says:

Or simply that BPA is stored in body fat, so if you have more body fat, you store more BPA?

3. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

Clearly, BPA causes a lack of willpower; because everybody knows that it would be more morally satisfying if people became fat because they deserved it. See how much tedious epidemiology you can skip just by choosing the the smuggest possible answer?

4. MollyMaguire says:

“Explanations of the association cannot rule out the possibility that obese children ingest food with higher BPA content or have greater adipose stores of BPA.”

5. mattcornell says:

The most important thing is that we find out what is causing people to become fat. Because fat people are disgusting.

6. mattcornell says:

I don’t think you actually read those links I sent you. But hey, maybe you did and I simply lack the willpower and intelligence to understand the data. Anyways, I really love your idea about making it illegal for fat people to consume more than 2000 calories a day. I’m sure calorie restriction is a great way to extend my life.

Wait, it’s not? Oh well.

7. Timothy580 says:

you have to understand how fat and toxins work… fat is a way the body deals with excess toxins… more then just extra food it is also a way for the body to protect itself from toxins… when you lose weight your body has to deal with the toxins that were stored in the fat… this is why people have flashbacks years after using LSD and why it is so hard to eat junk and still lose body weight…
    the body has to be detoxed in order to lose weight… without a good regiment of detoxification it is impossible to lose the fat!!! BPA is a toxin that the body will store in fat rather then shed and it is more easily dealt with when you have a healthy detoxed body… if your diet is full of toxins your not going to be able to deal with the BPA and it is simply stored in the fat…

8. Jen Onymous says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the BPA link is related in some way to eating lots of processed food, not just soda.

In every food preparation establishment that I’ve ever seen, high or low, food is “prepped” and then stored in giant Tupperware-like containers before cooking, or at certain stages of cooking.

If all one eats is prepared foods and/or fast foods–which are higher in fat and salt anyway–you’re probably exposing yourself to a lot of cumulative BPA as well.

I think the BPA link is more of a symptom than a cause, but there is a logical empirical ground for the link.

9. Hi Adam Will You Help Me With My Weight Loss? How Do I Send The Food I Don’t Eat To Hungry Starving People? What’s There Address?

Thanks in advance.

10. SamSam says:

Obese people are obese because they lack the willpower or intelligence to make proper choices about their diet.

It’s this kind of false, simplistic comment that makes  mattcornell’s first reaction to the post understandable….