New Orleans cancels plans for Super Bowl drone, after indie paper investigates

16 Responses to “New Orleans cancels plans for Super Bowl drone, after indie paper investigates”

1. Am I a bad person for wanting one for myself?

2. Calvin says:

Canceled only because Landrieu & the NOPD thugs were caught!

3. No, I’m actually doing a hackathon on drones next month. They’re just machines

4. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

“The rel­a­tively small Cres­cent Un­manned Sys­tems model sells for about $100,000.”

It’s a quadcopter, and a small one at that. Quoted endurance time of less than an hour. And the FLIR optics package isn’t a standard feature.

Does it provide home-baked cookies and the love and affirmation that your parents never did, or what?

5. Sirkowski says:

Don’t they already have snipers at the Superbowl? How is this worse?

6. IronEdithKidd says:

Oh, mission creep, do you know *any* limits?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

UK local councils using anti-terror laws to bust people for putting their trash cans out too early makes this effort look weak.

7. disillusion says:

Would it be cynical of me to suggest they turned this down because it’s simply not loaded with enough weaponry?

8. theophrastvs says:

It might become a distraction from the bread and circuses.  oh but what if it had branding “oh look daddy! it’s the cuervo-gold panopticon!”  “yes timmy, daddy remembers when our friendly drones were not everywhere” “but who watched over us?” “no one, you scamp… no one”

9. travtastic says:

Mission success, the drone has been defeated. Now we’re back to regular old quaint, bigoted human policework.

10. pjcamp says:

Let’s make a deal.

The cops can have their little RC quadcopter if they turn in their tanks and helicopter gunships:

11. xiagang says:

Even the Chinese are surprised sometimes by the lengths to which Americans will go for surveillance. I think I’ll translate this one and put it on my weibo.

12. Nagurski says:

See a drone, shoot a drone.