"39 Lashes" from Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)

19 Responses to “"39 Lashes" from Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)”

1. Just_Ok says:

What a riot!

2. Donald Petersen says:

Pilate, what an asshole.

3. CaptainPedge says:

I’m going to see the UK stadium tour next week with Tim Minchin as Judas and Mel C from the spice girls as Mary Magdalene. I’m looking forward soooooo much :-)

4. technogeekagain says:

And THIS is how you make a musical/rock-opera into a movie. Magnificent acting, wonderful visual design dancing on the edge between realistic and surrealistic.

5. heligo says:

I loved this film as a kid and still do. The music and emotion is amazing.

I want to introduce it to my 8 year old daughter but I’m worried that it’ll affect her towards religion. I’m already fighting her school’s brainwashing and I think I’m winning so it’s a delicate time at the moment. Might have to hold off on this movie.

6. Adrian says:

The spinoff (The Village People) was better.

7. Durin Gleaves says:

The Wasters, an old Seattle group devoted to songs about Meth and fronted by the drummer from Sky Cries Mary, put a decent cover of this track on their album.

8. Love that movie. Incidentally, Phish recently hit that groove, too:

9. extra88 says:

I remember that groove from it being used in a faux movie trailer for Slacker Cop 3, included in the Low Res Film Festival in 1996. I showed it to my wife back then and she said, “that’s from Jesus Christ Superstar.”

10. Boundegar says:

I’ve never seen this movie, though I had the soundtrack as a kid.  It’s odd the lashing didn’t appear to hurt.  The lavender wifebeaters were odd too.

11. lorq says:

Unintentional camp, Exhibit A.

12. Paul Adams says:

Anyone else think Pilate looks strangely like a skinny Greg Dulli in a couple of shots?

13. Sparg says:

Can’t wait to go to bed tonight and have dreams of the Jesus freaks from my childhood.  The early 70s were so fucking weird, now that I look back.