What does the $1000 genome really mean for you?

9 Responses to “What does the $1000 genome really mean for you?”

1. Henry Pootel says:

And if you don’t have $1000 to get your genome, ask your parents to pay for it!

(Romney joke fail – edited to make joke more obvious)

2. nw2 says:

We’ve seriously talked about getting the family sequenced as a Christmas present.  If not this year, then soon.

3. ldobe says:

IIt may turn out cheaper to have your whole genome sequenced for $1000 and analyze it for the known anomalies than to do all the known tests, some of which are patented and have absurd licensing rates

4. SKR says:

When I saw $1000 genome, I thought the post was going to be about this.
    http://www.genomecompiler.com/  of course that cost would only be for something really small.

I’m a little disappointed.

5. oasisob1 says:

“The live event is sold out, but you can watch whole thing streaming online.” ~provided no music or video clips are played during the event.

6. Kilteddad says:

Nah, I’ll wait for the $100 version.  I’m pretty sure my genome won’t change in the next 15 months.   .

7. Tribune says:

apparently it means I am offline and displaying a test pattern.

8. chgoliz says:

There are two conflicting issues which make it hard to know whether or not $1,000 is the price-point to jump at:

- Generally speaking, the price goes down on technology like this if you wait just a few years;

- Conversely, governmental regulations are likely to be put in place to protect the rights of for-profit companies to own both the processes and the results, so get your raw data downloaded now while you still can.

A number of European countries (France and Germany are the biggest) will not allow consumer genome testing without a doctor’s orders.  Similarly, NY state will allow other genome testing but not 23andMe because that company’s test reveals medical SNPs.  You have to mail back your test kit from outside the state or the company can’t accept it.

No one knows where the various state, national, and international laws are going to be on this issue in future.

9. dtysen says:

Not about a $1000 Gnome. I misread.