Shuttle Endeavour flies over California today, en route to LA retirement

14 Responses to “Shuttle Endeavour flies over California today, en route to LA retirement”

1. ComradeQuestions says:

Dunno if it’s something you guys changed with your RSS feed or Google Reader changed, but recently in GReader, the pictures in these articles appear overly stretched out, but clicking through to the actual article they appear fine.

2. vonbobo says:

definitely a rare and incredible spectacle for aviation fans. Wish I would have been able to have seen it!

3. Brainspore says:

Just saw it out my office window in San Francisco! See you next time I visit L.A. …

4. Jessica Hanebutt says:

My husband is an engineer at Skunk Works, his coworker shot this video right outside the plant this morning as Endeavour did a very low flyby of Plant 42 in honor of the shuttle program’s heritage at that location. This is pretty epic, wish it was a little longer! http://youtu.be/w4zkdiAFIOI

5. Donald Petersen says:

I saw it cruise over JPL, slow & low.  Spectacular!  My crappy 1st-gen Android took a crappy video that cut out after only 19 seconds, otherwise I’d post it for you.  Man, you had to be there.  The cheering crowd really brought a tear to my eye.

6. Work_Watch_Buy_Repeat says:

Nice funeral procession for NASA’s manned space program.

We can afford a trillion dollars a year to kill brown people.  We can even afford half a trillion every year on entertainment. But nothing, nada, zero for manned space exploration.

Among the galaxy’s sentient species, we are the basement-dwelling underachiever.

7. Susan Carley Oliver says:

My Facebook feed was filled this morning with the most amazing stream of photos posted, as the Endeavour flew a loop around the Bay Area and then made her way down to Los Angeles and friend after Californian friend posted their shots.

8. Endeavour and that 747 are total sky homies! I love it!

• Donald Petersen says:

Speaking of which, anyone have any idea what they’re gonna do with the two Shuttle Carrier Aircraft now?  I don’t imagine American Airlines wants ‘em back, since they gotta be forty years old now (though low hours, all things considered).