The new poster for Les Misérables looks familiar

16 Responses to “The new poster for Les Misérables looks familiar”

1. xzzy says:

I’m sure some marketing droid  calculated the precise percentage of additional viewers they’d attract if they included links to the original show in their advertising.

2. pupdog says:

Movie poster based on the Broadway poster, which was itself based on the Émile Bayard illustration from the original edition of Hugo’s book… That pic has been around…

• Narmitaj says:

It would be nice if something like that image had been Hugo’s first inspiration for the novel, too – something that happened with The French Lieutenant’s Woman. John Fowles kicked off with an image of a woman in a dark cloak and hood looking back from the end of the Cobb at Lyme Regis, wrote the book to figure out her story, and that original image (now portrayed by Meryl Streep) became one of the posters of the movie.

3. Does the eye contact improve it or not?

4. relawson says:

Am I the only one that thinks the kid has facial hair?

5. bazzargh says:

Hope the appearance of a Hollywood version of the film means we’ll see Claude Lelouch’s film, somewhat loosely based on the novel, back on telly & dvd. It’s great.

6. tofagerl says:

Watch one of the adaptations of the book instead. The musical isn’t worth the time or money. Even better, read the book.

• franko says:

this is just me, but i’ve read the book (not the abridged version, the full version) three times so far in my life, and i think the musical is definitely worth both the time and the money. to be able condense such a rich story into something that lasts and has such broad appeal is laudatory to me. i like to think Hugo would have approved. i’m definitely looking forward to this adaptation.

7. jkg says:

they mostly come at night… mostly…

8. winkybb says:

I really like the photograph and the implicit homage to the musical’s graphic image. I’ve seen the musical a couple of times (long ago) and loved it.

9. Jeiel Aranal says:

Reminds me of one of the most biting lines from Forbidden Broadway (sing it to I Dreamed a Dream):

“Come watch us grovel in the dirt
    Then buy a souvenir and don it
    Rich folks pay twenty bucks a shirt
    That has a starving pauper on it ”

10. Kimmo says:

Brought to you in blue and orange, of course.