People from 0 to 100 years in 150 seconds (video)

27 Responses to “People from 0 to 100 years in 150 seconds (video)”

1. stygianguest says:

Something that will not be appreciated by those who speak the language, is the gradual change of accent over the ages. I’m sure such a thing must exist in all languages, but it is hard to identify such subtile differences in a learned tongue.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I saw an article the other day saying that QE2 has started slipping into an estuarine accent if you compare her speech now compared with 60 or so years ago.

• George Michaelson says:

the QE2 only slips into an estuarine accent when the tide is high enough to permit her to sail into the littoral zone.

• Girard says:

One thing that stood out to me, visually, was how much more diverse the younger generation of Amsterdamers was. It’s a less subtle indicator of cultural/demographic shifts than accent, but at least it’s one anyone with eyes can notice.

• welcomeabored says:

Instead, I noticed with what enthusiasm and at what age they announced their ages; I watched the facial expressions and body language.  The young  were gleeful and the old were amazed; those in their middle years seemed more nonplussed.

2. For a really good time, turn on the automatic english closed captioning!

3. rattypilgrim says:

This would be a great video to send into space (is that possible, technically speaking?) as an informative and friendly gesture to whomever may be out there.

4. a mouse says:

Saw a very similar thing years ago 1 to 100: people

5. Donald Petersen says:

I’m afraid I’ll have to see some ID from Ms. 31.

6. Ashley Yakeley says:

Dutch is like English as spoken by Dutch people.

• nowimnothing says:

Yeah, when I was in Amsterdam I had a hard time telling the difference between Dutch and the heavily accented couple from Liverpool staying in my hostel. The great thing is that, at least in the large cities, almost everyone speaks at least some and usually very good English. After a bit of culture shock backpacking around the rest of Europe, Amsterdam felt like home.

7. Arduenn says:

After ’100′ I was hoping she’d say “Wie niet weg is, is gezien! Ik kom!” (“Ready or not, here I come!”)

8. Jan_Willem says:

“Kanaal van Filmersblog” translates as “Film Makers’ Blog Channel”. The film’s director is called Jeroen Wolf, as the end credits clearly show. Incidentally, eighty-two (tweeëntachtig) is spoken by the renowned Dutch novelist Remco Campert. [edited - see below]

9. Over the River says:

I am hard of hearing and wear hearing aids in both ears when I have to. I enjoyed watching this with the sound off, knowing exactly what each person would say, and watching their lips and mouth; lip-reading each age. While my lip-reading skills are far from ready for the big time, videos like this, without captioning stealing my attention, are very helpful in my quest to better understand those who are communicating with me.

• TimmoWarner says:

I’m asking this seriously, but you do know they aren’t speaking in English, correct? I want to confirm just for my own sake you’re lip reading the right language.

10. traalfaz says:

It’s interesting that several times a person looks 10 years older than those on either side of them.  I noticed at my high school reunion a few weeks ago that we’re all about 48 years old but some of my classmates looked at least 60.  In some cases I know it was lifestyle choices, in others I don’t know, could be genetics, and it’s not to say that they weren’t healthy but they sure looked old.

11. dainel says:

I don’t speak Dutch. But all through the video, I keep thinking “the Dutch read numbers from right to left”. One and thirty, two and thirty, three and thirty, … Does that make them better or worse in arithmetic?

• Arduenn says:

In 19th century English, the numbers used to be the wrong way too, similar to Dutch: … Nineteen, twenty, one-and-twenty, two-and-twenty, et cetera. In fact, it does make sense to read the numbers from right to left, because the numbers we all use are Arabic.

12. lutzray says:

He, quite touching. I was waiting for the age where people would cease to be standing up.