How to build a trippy meditation chamber, from PopSci 1970 archives

14 Responses to “How to build a trippy meditation chamber, from PopSci 1970 archives”

1. Samuel Slaton says:

Reminds me of Coverdale’s hermitage in Hawthorne’s “The Blithedale Romance,” except less leafy and tree-toppy.

2. Sparrow says:

Looks like something for old school D&D players to roll their own.

3. hyph3n says:

Wondering what the wife or girlfriend is thinking? My bet: “Get this the Hell out of the living room!”

4. lorq says:

“…or you may find the sensation akin to that of slowly slipping into madness.”

5. Nash Rambler says:

I know the first subject I’d meditate on.  “Why the hell did I build this thing?”

6. What they don’t say is you have to fill it with pot smoke to get the effect. And then the photos on the walls may not be necessary.

7. Made my own about 25 yrs. back when I was first learning Rinzai Zen. Took the lazy man’s route though: framed it 8 X 8 X 8 with wood (so I wouldn’t have to cut the stock); wrapped the frame in this thick, dark purple felt with a velcro-edged opening. Then I loaded the inside with candles, incense burners, zabuton cushions. Slept a lot in there, very comfortable in winter. As for meditation, I’ve since found out that ordinary life provides a better setting than my old purple sanctum: http://taoofwalking.wordpress.com/2012/03/10/of-reflection/

8. Nadreck says:

“My faces are many; my sides are not few.
     I’m a dodecahedron …and what are you?”
     - The Phantom Tollboth

9. ;-; the link to the gallery is not working.this makes me a sad panda.

10. Robert Cruickshank says:

“Machine screws pass through predrilled panels into washer and wingnut.”

That’s no way to talk about your dad.

11. jbond says:

Retro-futurism. Try Roger and Martin Dean’s retreat pods. http://eohlsson.wordpress.com/2010/02/25/i-pod-you-pod-we-all-pod/

12. esquire says:

“Mitt, honey, it’s time to come out of the meditation chamber.  You’ve been in there for 27 hours straight.”