According to a survey of 200,000 Americans, Miller High Life is the most bi-partisan of beers. Republicans favor Samuel Adams and, apparently, there are a lot of Democrats drinking Heineken. (Although one might argue that these results are heavily skewed, as the survey did not include either microbrews or microparties. God only knows what the Libertarians are drinking.) There's a chart. Yay, charts! (Via Kevin Zelnio)

49 Responses to “The champagne of national unity”

1. jtropp1 says:

Where does PBR fall?

2. Doug Black says:

Who knew there were so many people on both sides of the political divide with terrible taste in beer?

3. Bucket says:

Frank Booth would like a word with you.

4. Joshua Ochs says:

Libertarians are drinking a lot.

5. Navin_Johnson says:

God only knows what the Libertarians are drinking

Kool-Aid

6. Pike Place Kilt Lifter in the winter, 21st Amendment Hell Or High Watermelon in the summer.  Life’s too short to drink bad beer.

7. seyo says:

“God only knows what the Libertarians are drinking.”

A golden chalice of delusional self righteousness and crocodile tears.

8. nate says:

Libertarians drink unpasteurized milk, bhang, and Four Loko.

9. RustyTrawler says:

Huh – I always figured the world’s most interesting man voted regularly.

10. Navin_Johnson says:

I have to say I really thought “Miller-Lite” would be the universal one. I’ve done some time working in bars and no matter how many other great beers are on offer, from better tasting cheap beers to nicer crafts,  “Lite” would always outsell all of them, even Bud and Bud-Light. Proof that with enough advertising dollars you can make dudes think that drinking watery, wimpy, awful tasting beer is the epitome of manliness….

• ryuthrowsstuff says:

I think that depends on where your located. When I was working in bars it was always Bud-Light and even finding Miller-Lite any place was a rarity.  And when I lived in Philly it was Yuengling or you get hit.

• Dlo Burns says:

I don’t always preach, but when I do it’s that people shouldn’t drink lite beer.

11. Grey Eyed Man of Destiny says:

axes, maggie… according to this, natty light is the most bipartisan beer.

12. IronEdithKidd says:

Huh?  That’s odd.  According to this chart everyone I’ve ever played hockey with, and myself, should be a high turn-out Republican.  Who dafuq did they even ask?

Anyway, when it comes to good beer, we like to keep it local.  Bell’s Oberon in the summer, Wolverine State Premium or Amber the rest of the year.  Though, I do like Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat and Octoberfest to infill seasons, it’s just not quite as local.

13. Sam Ley says:

Interesting that this poll lacks representation from either of the largest American-owned beer companies (depending on how you define it).

Pabst is the largest American-owned brewery, though some of their beer is brewed out of the US. Yuengling is the largest American-owned brewery that also brews all of its beer in the US.

And Libertarians should be home-brewing!

• wysinwyg says:

And Libertarians should be home-brewing!

Why would people who are obsessed with free markets and commerce take a do-it-yourself approach?  Libertarians would want to buy beer from someone who was better at brewing beer than they were.  They also probably believe the brewers should be exempt from any sort of health or safety regulations.

Anarchists should be home-brewing.  And they probably are.

14. sota767 says:

Which political alignment do I have to join to not get shitty beer?

15. Aloisius says:

Republicans sure drink a lot of light beers.

• Brainspore says:

No wonder McCain ran as “Busch Light.”

• BillStewart2012 says:

Republicans are concentrated in the Red States, which tend to be hot and humid.  If you’re out working in your yard in St. Louis MO, home of Anheuser Busch, and it’s 95 degrees and 95% humidity outside, a Budweiser is about the heaviest beer you can drink, and even a Bud Light’s pretty good, if it’s cold enough.  The kinds of thick heavy beers we drink in San Francisco weather don’t work so well there, and vice versa.

• Navin_Johnson says:

If you’re talking about ice cold, crisp lawnmower beers, give me a Pabst, Schlitz, or Mexican beer like Modelo. I don’t know how people drink Bud.  It’s a shame that PBR has a stigma to it too, because imho among the low budget macros it’s the most drinkable.  Not that that’s much of an achievement.

• wysinwyg says:

But the study says they’re drinking Sam Adams, which is WAAAAY heavier than Bud.

16. Keith Tyler says:

Considering that Sam is a Boston originated beer, and therefore most Sam drinkers are Bostonians, and given that Boston is one of the nation’s most liberal towns, I find this completely bullshit.

17. Zart says:

I get really irritated by poorly labeled charts.  Which dimension does the size of the bubbles represent?

18. Antinous / Moderator says:

My governess’s husband brewed his own.  Where does that put me?

19. Comboman says:

I thought Republicans drank homebrew because “they built that”.

20. noah django says:

More like Miller Low Life, amirite?
    I used to drink MHL due to the fact that–in my area–it was the cheapest 12 pack by a buck.  The taste was plain/acceptable, but there was a slightly rank aftertaste and the hangovers were bad.  So now I pay the buck hipster tax for PBR.  Yeah, “it sucks” etc, but my beer-drinking is a utilitarian thing.  PBR tastes fine because it tastes like beer, and anything heavier does not compute in the Atlanta heat.

I really wanted to support Yuengling.  Great taste at a great price, but–and this has been substantiated without prompting by two friends–we just can’t get fucked up on it.  The internet says the ABV is the same, but I swear it’s weaker than other beers.