Great Graphic Novels: Zap Comix #2

9 Responses to “Great Graphic Novels: Zap Comix #2”

1. Kimmo says:

Crumb and his ilk are kinda like acid; once experienced, it’s impossible to look at the world quite the same way again…

Unless you’re like, a totally pink square.

2. Preston Sturges says:

S. Clay WIlson’s panels of brawling bikers, pirates, and aliens had a Hieronymus Bosch quality to them.

Robert Williams cartoons were surrealist and so intense and hard edged as to be painful to look at (with the occassional very nice female nude), but you had to love Coochie Cooty and stories like “Gorilla Women Of The Third Reich”  Did Zap#2 have the picture of the woman having sex with a giant black widow spider that was merged with a ww1 biplane with Williams in the corner of the panel as a Norman Rockwell style self portrait? You really did have to be prepared to put some effort into wrapping your head around what you were looking at.

3. VolkerS says:

In 1977, when I was twelve, I went into the Zweitausendeins store in Frankfurt and bought “Headcomix.”

It blew my mind. And I managed to hide it from my parents. There was a character named “Volker Fut” (Flakey Foont in english, ‘Fut” is the “C-word” in German) which was particularly amusing to me. Now I see Crumb in the New Yorker…

4. OtherMichael says:

In the lit portion of that room were images of W.C. Fields playing cards, Huey Newton holding a rifle while sitting in a wicker chairs, and African-American women with strangely prominent breasts.

In the world than led up to the 19A0s, THIS WAS ONE POSTER.

In other news, I was born too late (1970) to really appreciate the stuff in situ but liked the comix-with-an-x explosion since I first encountered in in High School. Really, what was that book doing in a small-town South Dakota school library, anyway? Placed by the same weird minds that allowed me to find Mondo 2000 down the road in Sioux Falls?!??!

Attached Gil Shelton strip (that I first saw in that library book) was ganked from here.

Thanks to you — fabulous, furry, zapped-out, burned-out, escaping Cleveland, buying school books, or brandishing scanners: I’m indebted to you all.

• rastronomicals says:

the chickens set FREE! thing was something I found in Les Daniels’ fantastic Comix history book.  I was never all that much into comics; I read the Daniels book mostly because it was given to me.  And I’ve never made a big deal about it, it’s all been very low-key, but the chickens in the Cadillac going to DC has affected ALL my thinking (admittedly to only a slight degree) ever since.

5. efergus3 says:

Yup, I’ve got Zap #0, 1, 2, 3 and many, many others. Started collecting undergrounds back in ’73. Wonder Wart-Hog and The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers are my favorites along with all of Bode’s stuff’.

6. Sketch V says:

Lol, funny stuff. I can imagine how that would rot your brain at that age!
    Here is a link to a  film I made of Williams where he talks about his Zap days among other things. Thanks and enjoy:

7. Had one of those talks in the 90′s at the age of 15. Far to late for my class