Great Graphic Novels: Promethea, by Alan Moore

18 Responses to “Great Graphic Novels: Promethea, by Alan Moore”

1. Alex says:

I began reading Promethea not too long ago, stopped for some reason or another. Alan Moore’s work is dredged in mythology and classic tales. The art is wonderful, of course. J.H. Williams III floored me with his drawings for Batwoman. Goes highly recommended, too.

2. Douglas Mullins says:

“(and others)”

That’s unbelievable.  J.H. Williams III is not “others”.

3. Andy Herbert says:

It is a beautiful piece of work, and no doubt a lot of care and affection was involved in it’s production, but the whole thing to me felt little more than a lecture; compared to other Alan Moore works, such as Top 10 and Tom Strong, it’s certainly less entertaining.

The subjects touched on therein will, no doubt, appeal to the boingboing crowd, just don’t expect a great deal of story mixed in with the Kabbalah-led journey.

If you want to take my advice, for whatever that’s worth, try Top 10 if you haven’t read it already. It outranks Watchmen in my estimation.

• Halloween_Jack says:

There’s no doubt that Promethea is didactic in intent, but I think that it’s thrilling in the way that he strives to make magic relevant and real and important in peoples’ lives, and the things that he says about the stories that people make up, and the stories that make up people, have a lot of importance in how people view their lives and the lives of others and the myriad of options open to them in the creation and sharing of their own personal epics. I’ve never gotten a tattoo, but I came yea close to getting one of the Tree of Life on the inside of my wrist, as a sort of cheat sheet for the universe.  As much as I love Top 10, it’s basically Hill Street Blues with capes.

• jlargentaye says:

I agree with the lecturing aspect of Promethea. I got bored with it close to the end, as I was looking for a story (a Moore-quality story mind you).

The esoterism presented was definitely interesting and presented in a compelling way, but to this skeptic, this was just another symbolic set. It led me to postulate that, the human mind being so good at finding patterns in information, it’s just a curiosity that we can find/elaborate such self-coherent symbol sets.

4. robdobbs says:

Have these been bound into one tomb, or are they all seperate? The link only shows book one, but I’d rather have them al as one.

• metacalifragilistic says:

“bound into one tomb” — You mean “stitched together as one shambling monstrosity”?  or “adopted into a collective chthonic dreamscape”, like Arthur and Cthulhu?

• OtherMichael says:

a “phonebook”, a la “Cerebus” or “From Hell” ?

Or should I say a phonbbook a la “Cbrbbus” or “From Hbll”?

5. glaborous_immolate says:

too much of an occultist info-dump for my taste.

6. asicath says:

Yea, the thing to understand about Promethea is that it is basicly a giant chick tract for Thelema. (Which to me is really awesome, but might seem obnoxious to others.) There are numerous ham fisted situations involving the virtues of Thelema and its ancillary practices. Well, they would be ham-fisted if people wrote more commonly about the subject, perhaps a better way to look at it would be its like Robert Anton Wilson in graphic novel form, some of the situations seem cheesy, but the fact that they involve a sort of counter culture redeems them with its purity of heart. This wasn’t a novel of propaganda, it was a novel of the most pure Love for the subject.

• Halloween_Jack says:

That’s an excellent description, and makes me wish that Moore and JHWIII had done a Promethea mini-issue in the style of a Chick tract.

• OtherMichael says:

What is the difference between a Chick Tract and a Tijuana Bible?*

Is there a name for that format-size?

* I suspect the answer is something along the lines of “One has hope in its soul”….

• PeaceLove says:

“The thing to understand about Promethea is that it is basically a giant Chick tract for Thelema.” Har har, priceless.

Count me a huge fan of Promethea but I certainly can’t fault anyone who finds it a tough slog. The girl who introduced me to it is something of a Promethea herself, so that probably helps.

7. GeorgeMokray says:

As a magician, did Moore conjure Anonymous and  Occupy with V for Vendetta?

8. R H says:

I enjoyed Promethea, and found the info on magic fascinating, but I did wish, reading the later volumes, that it had been padded out a bit with more actual story and superheroics – maybe to ten volumes in total.
    What story there was, was pretty original and interesting, and I felt there was potential for more.

9. Amelia_G says:

Rilly? Alan Moore is my favorite comics writer, and I enjoy very much Melinda Gebbie, who might have collaborated on this?, but of the Moore stuff I’ve read Promethea is the one I can’t recommend. Though I bought a batch of new comics recently and have yet to process them… (Sorry! I love the good work, otherwise I wouldn’t know.)