Fractal cutlery that fringes off into hairy infinity

On the FractalForums message boards, a user called LhoghoNurbs has posted this wonderful contest-entry for a notional set of fractal cutlery. In a subsequent post, LhoghoNurbs explains that all the image manipulation was done in the GIMP, without any 3D modelling software. LhoghoNurbs wants a set of these, and so do I.

The set includes four pieces:

Cantor fork :: now you can pin a single kiwi seed. Twice in a row.

Recursive spoon :: it will never let you spill a drop of soup. Ever.

Koch knife :: to delicately cut hair-thin slices out of an egg. A raw egg.

The Infinity Set :: the set includes itself. As a subset.

Every piece of the set is inscribed with our Julia logo and our motto "The Infinities are Possible". Limited quantities. Unlimited price. The kiwi, the drop of soup and the egg are not included in the box, but could be ordered separately.

We are proudly presenting our latest kitchenware set featuring a design distilled for centuries by moulders all over the world; and based on the latest scientific breakthroughs. (Thanks, Fipi Lele!)

33 Responses to “Fractal cutlery that fringes off into hairy infinity”

1. Doran says:

I like the fork. The knife would be okay if it were much less rough. The spoon is just silly.

• Boundegar says:

I wish the fork was truly fractal, all the way down to the molecular level.  The tips would be a grey blur, but so wickedly sharp it would shred your lips and tongue.  For Science!

2. Jessica says:

I think these would go nicely with a set of my reaction diffusion simulation dish ware video:  https://vimeo.com/13927597

3. That butter knife would be terrible for spreading butter conventionally (as opposed to fractally).

4. Antinous / Moderator says:

The knife looks like trefoil tracery.

5. SedanChair says:

You just know this is someone’s nightmare come to life.

6. Nadreck says:

I want a Seirpinski juicer.

7. Why the heck is this called “The Infinity Set” and NOT “The Mandelbrot Set”?

8. Kirby_G says:

It’s like William Gibson’s ceramic fractal knife http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=143

• scav says:

Also, I think there’s a blade like that described in Snow Crash (1992). But I may be mis-remembering. Some Neal Stephenson novel anyway. It’s obviously an idea whose time has come.  I want one.

• Michael Rosefield says:

You’re thinking of The Diamond Age, I think; there’s a nano-mechanical chainsaw, with a molecular, self-propelled edge. That was a pretty damned good moment in the book :D

• Graham Fawcett says:

It’s also in Snow Crash — it’s the glass knife that the Aleut guy made. He used it to cut somone in half, lengthwise, among other things. [OK, strictly not a fractal knife, but a knife with a molecularly-sharp edge.]

• joshuakarthik says:

Molecularly sharp edge? Don’t forget “Death” from the Discworld series. Terry Pratchett has him wielding a blade that’s sharp at a molecular level.

• OtherMichael says:

What about the super-sharp ceramic knives in Islands in the Net? They weren’t fractal — but with that sort of sharpness, cheapness, and durability — who cares?!!

9. I think you’ll need dental floss to clean in between the layers of that spoon.

10. tubacat says:

Brilliant!  Want! (and to Sarcastic Rover, the “Mandelbrot Set” would be a clever name, but really not appropriate for the shapes. On the other hand, you could maybe start with a Mickey Mouse-shaped pancake and elaborate something that resembles the Mandelbrot Set. Hmmmm…..)

11. I ain’t stickin’ them thangs in mah mouth…

12. bzishi says:

I like it because I won’t have the memorize the how to set the table. I can instead order the cutlery by its fractal dimension.

13. IndexMe says:

Yikes! An infinitely sharp thing like a fractal fork is the last thing I want in my mouth!

14. Graham Fawcett says:

They should have included a few close-up shots of those edges!

(lame fractal joke)

15. angusm says:

The perfect thing for eating romanesco. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesco_broccoli

16. The perfect gift for an imaginary wedding!

17. Dave Killion says:

Yo Dawg, I herd you liked spoons…

/had to

18. Christian Kleinhuis says:

here is a youtube review of the image, it won: