Quant: leaving finance made me happy, you should try it

14 Responses to “Quant: leaving finance made me happy, you should try it”

1. $28084830 says:

I have a job I hate that pays a lot less than 400K.  “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn’t you say so? There’s a support group for that. It’s called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”

2. “The people in finance are ready for the world to melt down and are trying to collect enough food before it happens” is the scariest sentence I’ve read in ages, and worse than even I suspected.

• gsilas says:

I’ve been wanting to write a story about a rich, sick fuck who realized that he could make himself the richest and sickest fuck in a faster and easier fashion by unloading his investments and crashing the system.  A little bit of that character is present in that quote.

• dragonfrog says:

You know what’s scarier than that, to me?

That these people, whose whole jobs are about managing money, apparently can’t manage their finances effectively enough to already have done so with their first month’s paycheck, on an annual income of $400K or more. They should be able to buy a reasonable subsistence farm in Paraguay with the change in their couch cushions.

• SedanChair says:

Oh but those people aren’t rich. Didn’t you know? They’re HENRYs–High Earners Not Rich Yet.

Seriously: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/high-earners-not-yet-rich-henrys.asp

“Sure, I make $400,000 a year, but after private school, lavish townhouses and servant wages there’s hardly anything left to invest! MONEY’S NOT REAL IF I SPEND IT”

• wysinwyg says:

The scary part for me is that I had this sort of nebulous sense that this is what the last 30 years of US domestic policy has been about — outsourcing manufacturing, neglecting infrastructure, privatizing everything available, pumping money into bubbles where it’s more easily skimmed by hedge funds and investment banks, attempts to push the tax burden away from wealthier folks onto poorer folks, decaying civil liberties, militarization of the police, removing environmental protections, drilling the fossil fuels out of the ground and burning them as fast as possible.  It all amounts to sucking the maximum amount of money out of US civil society before it collapses and the folks who can afford it run off to island compounds with their private security forces.

The fact that this is the general attitude in finance just sort of confirms this vague sense I’ve had for a while that the people “in charge” are really just looting deposit boxes on the Titanic.

3. ando bobando says:

I misread the headline as “Leaving fiance made me happy, you should try it” and thought “Man, that article sounds like a downer…”

4. dethbird says:

There’s all these cool creative places in San Francisco and then there’s the f***ing finance district. I worked at a place down there that was a finance juggernaut for solar installation that was posing as a startup. IT SUCKED. Now I work somewhere nice.

5. Brainspore says:

When your entire sense of professional self-worth is based on your ability to make money for money’s sake then it’s bound to impact your morale (and morality).

6. nixiebunny says:

Defense engineering work is a similar type of grind, but not as highly paid. I worked in it for 20 years before finding the wherewithal to leave and run my own company. I earn much less and am much happier.

7. Diogenes says:

Gee, you mean Ebenezer, Mr. Potter, and Mr. Burns aren’t really happy?  I’m shocked.

8. caddywumpus says:

Totally unrelated to the story, but upon following the image credit link, I discovered I was at McMurdo Station during one of the summers that Eli, the photographer was!

IceStock 2010! Oh the memories.

• DewiMorgan says:

What’s coolest of all about your post is that ti suggests *image credits work*. People follow them, discover artists, talk about them. Not often. But more than they would.