Creepy vintage novelties (photo gallery)

14 Responses to “Creepy vintage novelties (photo gallery)”

1. MattAtDoyle says:

The first time I went to the Shine Gallery, I could not tell if I had walked into an actual store or a museum that displayed vintage items. I was almost afraid to touch anything. Great stuff!

2. glamaFez says:

I have a cigarette case from that series.  There’s an angry Indian in a war bonnet saying…
    “IF YOU TAKUM TWO ME SCALP YOU”

3. I agree with you Mark! I don’t care much for Los Angeles in general but whenever I visit my brother there I always visit the Farmer’s Market as it’s one of the best places in town. I was glad he used to live a few blocks away as that part of town is one of the most walkable parts of the city – lots of cool places accessible on foot, which is unusual for LA!

• Dlo Burns says:

LA is an odd beast, it feels like a bunch of neighborhoods stolen from different times and places and sewn together into a franken city. At least until you get to the outer suburbs which are like the ‘burb-iest of all ‘burbs.

4. Paul Renault says:

Do they have the little plastic monkeys that smoke cigarettes?

• Mark_Frauenfelder says:

How do you think the cigarettes were made?

• Evil Paul says:

They were my fave thing I ever bought in a magic store with my limited pocket money as a kid.

I remember that the smoke from them smelled like solder smoke, so I’m guessing that they used pine resin. Don’t know how the periodic puffing effect was achieved.

• usonia says:

I got curious and unwrapped one once – there were variations in color, implying different materials..maybe little explosive bits (gunpowder or phosphorus?) to make the smoke rings? I loved the way they smelled. They are NOT easy to find now.

5. Bob Knetzger says:

Craptastic! What a cool store, great that it’s around. I love a bad novelty as much as the next guy (well, probably more!) but I hope not to see any of these items in a Quarterly&Co offering, Mark.

On second thought, what would Randy Regier do…?  Do you think NuPenny had a sister company that made novelties? Hmmmm…

6. strangefriend says:

Do they sell horse shit cigarets?

7. feetleet says:

For future reference, you should avoid the word ‘novelty’ in pleasant company.  My wife got upset the other day when I used the term ‘booby trap’.  It’s like that.

8. franko says:

if this place wasn’t the inspiration for the magic shop in Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, i’ll eat my hat.

9. Kimmo says:

Re the passive-aggressive inscriptions on cigarette cases, there’s many a milieu where such a thing would be spot-on perfect.

Some of my friends could use one actually, since I’m attempting to quit and only smoking OPs when drinking…

10. niktemadur says:

One more thing about the cigarette cases, they’ve got that “Tijuana Bibles” mystique to them, all the way.